Using a flashdrive as the pagefile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

White_Wolf

Baseband Member
I just had an idea, but know very little about computers. Would it be possible to use a USB flashdrive as a pagefile/virtual memory, rather than assigning reserved pagefile space on the Operation System's drive?

If the answer to that question is "yes", than I have a second question: in my case where I have 256 Megs of PC100 SDRAM, and a 100 Mega Hertz USB, would a Flashdrive holding my system's pagefile significantly speedup my computer's performance?

umm what do you mean by 100 mhz usb? there is no such thing. and windows vista has a feature like this anyways. when you plug one in it is an option from auto play.

umm what do you mean by 100 mhz usb? there is no such thing. and windows vista has a feature like this anyways. when you plug one in it is an option from auto play.

My bad, I have a 100 MHz Front Side Bus. Got my FSB and USB confused. So apparently I have a standard Universal Serial Bus, making that particular reference unimportant.

um this kind of thing is only available in windows vista and it is called readyboost. getting another stick of ram is way better and the only reason microsoft developed this is that laptops have limited space of ram slots and if they need more ram then the only fast way is using a usb drive. although this is not reccomended for normal desktop users as ram is easily upgradable in desktop.

"advancedgeek" you do know that you can select a different location for your pagefile to be stored correct??? Do you even know what a pagefile is??? Anyways, yes, it is possible, on windows 98 and up, but I wouldn't recomend it because USB is slower than the actual drive, and umm yea... I always have my pagefile on a seperate HDD than the one everything is stored on... It helps sometimes...

the only way to do it and make it worth while is using the I-ram module if you want to do it with ram sticks there is suppose to be a new revision which accepts ddr2 ram upto 8gb soon. you coul also use a SSD harddrive instead but they cost alot aswell

I don't see a point in even having a pagefile much anymore now in days other than for programs that require it. ****, most systems people build will have 2-8GB of ram, and yea...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom