multiple hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerigorn

In Runtime
When a computer has 2 or more hard drives, how does it decide where to put files. Also, does the computer take a large program, such as a game, and divide the files between the hard drives or put it all in the same.

I just recently installed another hard drive (a 80 gb seagate) along with my 120 Maxtor already installed. I kept the Maxtor as the master drive and set the seagate as the slave. I use the maxtor for my operating system and everything else, games, mp3s, movies, etc. on my Seagate. Just a way to keep things a little more organized I guess....

LV38_Eagle said:
Unless you have set up a Raid array, the computer will put the files where you ask it to.

Just a little expansion on what LV30 said...

When you go into My Computer, you see all of your drives listed under Hard Disk Drives. By default, your OS information is stored on the C: drive. When you install a game, 99% of the time it will give you the option of where to install the game (meaning on what drive). You simply choose the drive that you want by replacing the C with the correct drive letter.

If you wanted a word file to be saved to a drive other than C:, you would follow the same process. When you save the file, you would choose a directory within another drive.

basically, the two different hard drives are named differently.

if you have one hard drive, it is probably your "C" drive.
a second hard drive will most likely be "D"

when installing games, you tell it which drive to install it on

Raid is a great way of using multiple HDÂ’s to make data retrieval faster, more secure, or both. The three raid setups are called Raid 0, Raid 1 and Raid 0 + 1. Raid 0 is the fastest option, as it puts half of all files/folders on each disk, (of a pair), so when you recall the info, you get the data almost twice as fast as using a single disk.

Raid 1 is a secure method, where the whole file is copied to both disks, so in the event of disk failure, you will always have a copy of the data, (in raid 0, you lose everything with a disk failure).

Raid 0 + 1 is a ‘best of both worlds’ but you need 4 HD’s to use it. It basically uses 2 HD’s in Raid 0, with the other 2 drives in Raid 1 with each of the Raid 0 drives, allowing fast data retrieval, with good security/redundancy, (hence, 0 + 1).

Depends on which drives u want to install the program
Usually when u install a program it will prompt to c: where u installed the Os, by that time u have to decide which drives u want to install the program in.

LV38_Eagle said:
Raid is a great way of using multiple HDÂ’s to make data retrieval faster, more secure, or both. The three raid setups are called Raid 0, Raid 1 and Raid 0 + 1. Raid 0 is the fastest option, as it puts half of all files/folders on each disk, (of a pair), so when you recall the info, you get the data almost twice as fast as using a single disk.

Raid 1 is a secure method, where the whole file is copied to both disks, so in the event of disk failure, you will always have a copy of the data, (in raid 0, you lose everything with a disk failure).

Raid 0 + 1 is a ‘best of both worlds’ but you need 4 HD’s to use it. It basically uses 2 HD’s in Raid 0, with the other 2 drives in Raid 1 with each of the Raid 0 drives, allowing fast data retrieval, with good security/redundancy, (hence, 0 + 1).

How do you go about setting up a Raid array?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom