new mobo and cpu....reboots repeatedly

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetAdmin

Solid State Member
I recently installed a new motherboard and cpu in a computer I have here at home. Since doing that, the machine reboots all the time. Sometimes it goes for 10 or 15 minutes, sometimes it's as little as one minute. There is no error message or other warning...it just reboots right in the middle of anything I'm doing. The mobo is Asus A7N8X-X, the CPU is an AMD Athlon XP 2200+. The video card is an NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 Pro, and I also put in 512 MB of Kingston DDR RAM (PC3200).

Any ideas on why it keeps rebooting would be greatly appreciated. I have never run into this problem before when building or upgrading a PC.

Your power supply isn't supporting enough amps on the +12v rail.

Give us a picture of your power supply's readings or tell us how many amps it has on each rail.

more info

The power supply is a 400 watt power supply I put in this case about 6 months ago. The specs on the power supply case indicates 15 amps on the +12v wire.

Also, don't know if it's helpful or not, but I'm running Windows XP Pro on this machine.

Hmm.. 15A should be enough for an Athlon XP.. the next thing I would say would be your drivers. Do you have the latest drivers for your video card/motherboard?

Anybody have any ideas?

chk event viewer and also in system properties, advanced, startup/recovery, and in system failure remove automatically reboot. Hopefully we can see the error now.

I got a blue screen which said there was a page fault in a nonpaged area. I then discovered I had a bad CD ROM drive, so I replaced it. I did, as you advised killians45, turn off the automatic reboot option, and I cleared the event viewer. After the PC grashed again, I looked in the event viewer and had an event which said the computer was rebooted from a bugcheck. After the next crash, when I rebooted, I got a little dialog box with AsmiHwlo at the top, and a message that said, "Can't open kernel driver asLM75.sys". Then another box with AsGetDmi at the top, which said "Can't load AdmilHwIo.dll". Any idea what is going on with this machine??

Did you re-install your OS when you put the new hardware in?

I always have major trouble if a new motherboard or different motherboard is installed on a previously installed OS. All sorts of things that cannot be accounted for elsewhere seem to go wrong.

yea, sometimes you can get away with that... most times you can't. have you reformatted since you got your new hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom