Upgrade Compatability Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The myth on DX10 is just that. Companies won't start selling DX10 required models for some time to come since Vista with 10 included was only just released recently. Too many games and even some still not out will still use DX9c as a requirement.

As far as 64bit OSs those are still in their infancy there since the buik of the market will remain 32bit for some time. Card manufacturers still want to sell cards to people 2000, ME, and XP for a few more years until 2000 amd XP no longer see support. 64bit will take longer then the swap over from 26 to 32bit seen in the 95 days with the OSR2 service pack there. NT was already 32bit then. The proposed Vienna version will obviously see 32 and 64bit versions there too.

The myth on DX10 is just that. Companies won't start selling DX10 required models for some time to come since Vista with 10 included was only just released recently. Too many games and even some still not out will still use DX9c as a requirement.

As far as 64bit OSs those are still in their infancy there since the buik of the market will remain 32bit for some time. Card manufacturers still want to sell cards to people 2000, ME, and XP for a few more years until 2000 amd XP no longer see support. 64bit will take longer then the swap over from 26 to 32bit seen in the 95 days with the OSR2 service pack there. NT was already 32bit then. The proposed Vienna version will obviously see 32 and 64bit versions there too.

I'm not gonna be jumping to Vista just yet, and when i do it will no doubt be the 32 bit version for more backwards compatability. I'm simply preparing the jump to vista and getting a little extra performance in untill then. As soon as Crysis and Age Of Conan are released i will probobly buy myself a DX10 card and a copy of vista so i can enjoy it, but untill then my 1950 Pro will do me fine and the E6600 will be a great step up from my single core AMD 3500. :p

I know too well about the 3500+ but am looking at the AMD 6000+ AM2 model soon. You will find that the newer cards still to come out will still be DX9 compatible for the time being. They will Vista ready however. With the long gap between the time XP came out and now a lot has changed as far as hardwares where the OSs have fallen behind.

The 64bit versions are the feeble attempt at this time of trying to keep up. You didn't see boards that would run 16gb of memory when XP was released. It will certainly take longer before 32bit is replaced by 64bit since the software companies are still wrapped around MS with the Apple/Mac and Linux exceptions there. That doesn't exclude other OSs there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom