Walmart computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'd say build it. i did myself and i was super paranoid about it :)
if not, you can always bring it into a computer shop and have them do it for you for a small fee :)

simple... no!

Don't buy a dell from walmart, first of all dell is a ripoff in the first place.

Second, you could probably build the computer for close to half the price :)

plus, when you build it, you have exactly what you want on it, and you don't have to deal with the crappy customer service :D :D

If I had the abilities to build a system, I would. It would be a good learning experience. But, it's good to know your own limitations and I know building my own computer would be disasterous. I couldn't even change my on-board graphics card with a new one, so a whole computer would be out of the question.
I live in Canada so I couldn't get the Compaq from Walmart.com. Here they only offer the Dell with the AMD 3600 cpu. I just thought It would be a cheap upgrade from my currrent system and I don't need anything fancy as I don't do any gaming.

AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 3600+
HD 250GB¹ with 1GB RAM
Genuine Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium
16x DVD +/-RW drive²
Keyboard and mouse included
Monitor sold separately.

This is the computer Walmart offers in Canada

Web Code: 10089500
Mfr. Part Number: GT5404
Processor Type Intel Pentium D Dual Core 915
Processor Speed 2.8GHz
RAM 1024MB DDR2 PC4200
Hard Drive 250GB SATA II 7200RPM
Optical Drives 16X Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD+/-RW
Graphics Card Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Available Expansion Bays 2 x 3.5 in, 1 x 5.25 in
Available Expansion Slots 1 x PCI-E x16, 1 x PCI-E x1, 1 x PCI
Cache 2 x 2MB L2
Disk Drive No
Fax/Modem 56K V.92
I/O Ports See The Features Section
Included Software See The Features Section
Monitor Included? No
Network Card 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN
Other Control Devices Multimedia Keyboard, Wheel Mouse
Preloaded Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
Sound Card 5.1 High Definition Audio
Speakers USB Powered Amplified Stereo
System Bus 800MHz
Warranty 1 Year Parts & Labour

Would this be a better choice. This is from bestbuy.ca. It's $499 compared to $599 for the Dell.

I meant that I couldn't replace my integrated graphics with a pci card, which is the only card that I can use

Listen Mike, go ahead and buy it. You'll be just fine. It's true though, building it is the best choice. But I like the fact that you are honest and know your limitations. That 3600 amd will serve you well.

Just remember that if you are going to game, integrated graphics just isn't going to cut it. If you are like most americans who surf the net, type word docs, save pics and rip music, the walmart pc will keep up. Don't worry

Sup

yea build your own pc man, if you have a question, post a topic! simple as that. we here at tech-forums are always ready and eager to help! (right guys?)

and the reason the onboard still worked after you put in the new card, is becasue you have to go into the bios and have it
"init display first (agp / pci)"
you have to choose pci for it to boot from it (that was just a sample from a hp)

and i have a question. is it true that dell has mobo manufactures bid and then dell chooses the one who is cheapest? i heard it from many different sources, just never been able to confirm it.

Compaq i have no problems with, there are three pc manufactures that i can deal with: HP, Compaq, and eMachines (all basically same company) i just have one comment first:

if you do buy a prebuild, format the hard drive, and do a fresh install with a new disk or something, not that restore disk crap, they just load the hdd down again. i mean my friends dell, brand new, like 80 processes. i have this other pc thats like half of that dell, but a fresh install, and it just straight out performs it like there is no freakin tomorrow.

thats why im thinking, why not just reinstall on your current pc? it makes them run soo much faster, or take it to a shop (unless someone wants to walk him through it) and have them remove all the unwanted startup programs and services, it does wonders to increase system performance....you know, msconfig?

Most people think computers are waaaaaay over their heads. but it really isnt. the manuals that come with the parts are very good, and we have tutorials here too. heck we can ever pick out the parts for you to order and then help you assemble it and install the software, over the net of course.

lol its true we do basically give these random people every component/ where to buy it/ how to install an operating system/ how to optimise it both in the bios and via software/ how to physically mod it into your own creation

Between the regular techies here we can help you with every possible pc use or size form. for example if you wanted a pocket pc around the same size as an old gameboy for your lounge to make a media hub then pico-itx is for you, if you then wanted to add satellite tv then nano-itx can be yours for the same size as an A5 piece of paper but thicker obviously..... now you don't want tv any more you just want downloaded media and some heavy gaming then mini-itx.

go for it if you really are worried about building. but building is fun. more fun that buying pre-built, and it will become a great hobby! plus, you can have the pride of saying, "i built my computer"...trust me, everyday joes really do think it is like brain surgery or something. its not.
all that aside, that rig is fine for a normal user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom