Building a 3.06, Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Vadoc-

Solid State Member
I am looking to build a 3.06 P4 system and would like opinions on the components I am going to use, Here goes :

Case: ANTEC Performance PLUS Model PLUS1080AMG- with Antec Original TRUE 430W P4 Power Supply ATX12V

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8PE667 ULTRA2, Intel 845 chipset,Socket 478 for P4 ATX motherboard Retail, Serial ATA ,RAID,USB 2.0

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 / 3.06GHz 512k 478 Pin Processor HT Technology 533 MHz FSB

CD-RW: PLEXTOR Black PX-W4824TA/BPS-BL/ 48x24x48 CD-RW

RAM: (2 sticks of) KINGSTON KVR333X64C25/512 512MB 32x64 PC2700 DDR RAM (better than 2100 2400)

Monitor: ViewSonic 18" LCD Display Model VG800 With Bezel Speakers

Keyboard & Mouse: Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Keyboard & Mouse

Hard Drive: WD WESTERN DIGITAL EIDE HARD DRIVE 120GB 7200RPM MODEL # WD1200BB -Caviar OEM

Floppy Drive: SAMSUNG 1.44MB BLACK FLOPPY DRIVE Model# SFD321B/KEB - OEM

Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum (Model SB0240P)

Video Card: ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 9700 PRO 128MB DDR 8X AGP

I think I listed everything hopefully I didnt miss anything. Right now it looks like this system is going to cost 2800 (roughly) plus shipping of the parts. I would appreciate any advice, help, or opinions on it. One big question I have is about running a 3.06 processor on an Intel 845 Chipset. I would go 850 but I do not see any good 850 Chipset boards which run DDR ram (which is what i prefer to use because it is cheaper)

Thanks

I'm not sure about your CPU/Chipset question, but about the Video Card, the AIW has less performance than the 9700 Pro regular. Unless you want all those nifty little features, then I would suggest the 9700 Pro regular. And, as I have been told, if you're going to do some overclocking, I would consider Mushkin, Crucial, or Corsair RAM instead of Kingston. Only if your going to OC though. Otherwise, everyone else can answer your main question :D.

THanks I appreciate the advice, I am defintley not going to overclock though haha.. I am looking to get pretty much the best machine i can at the moment, so I dont have to uprgrade for a while.

Although I was told that Kingston is the best ram, however if there is a better company that does DDR I will go with them.

Also I have a question about water cooling, I was hoping that I could just use the silver paste between the heatsink and the proc but someone told me that running a 3.06 on an 845 intel chipset is going to heat up. I dont want to do water cooling because thats another 300 bucks but I will if i have to .

I highly doubt you'll have to use watercooling without overclocking a CPU. Just get a good heatsink/fan, and maybe some thermal grease, and you'll be fine. But you should always research on some online tech sites (THG, Mikhailtech) before listening to me because I don't know much about CPU's like ive said before!!

I was considering your recommendation on RAM and I also downgraded my video card like you said ..

The new ram I think I am going with is

CRUCIAL MICRON 512MB 64x64 PC 2700 DDR RAM - OEM

It costs a little bit more but I want it to be a stable as possible, I hear the majority of instabiliy issues come from RAM conflicts.

Thanks for your reply .. I will look into the heatsink

The antec comes with 3 fans ( I think ) already installed.

I do have another question though, i heard XP Pro was the best way to go but in the interest of saving money would it be better to go with XP Home? XP Pro is 278 bucks ... (ouch)

Is there really that much of a difference between the two?

XP Pro doesn't differ much, with the exception of larger RAM capacity support, more CPUs, some server features, etc., but generally, whether you'll need those features is up to you.

If you're buying from an online retailer such as Newegg, I would consider buying an OEM version of XP Pro Full..its around 150 dollars.

It is a nice config....no suggestions from me unless you are gonna overclock that beast anyway.

im thinking of going with Alienware Area 51 though now

I dunno Im just afraid to try to build this system.....

someone talk to me out of it !

EDIt> Also the OEM version of windows XP says "Must be purchased with hardware" at the bottom

not quite sure what that means

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom