Can I shortcut OS by using my current hdd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookster264

In Runtime
I am putting together my first build and have to keep it under a tight budget. I already have my case, mobo, cpu, ram, and video card on its way. My question is, can I use the hdd in my current computer and not have to buy an OS? Will there be any conflicts with establishing my hdd with my new board? and Is there a chance I will lose data saved on the hdd?

The OS in the hard drive won't boot on a different hardware configuration. So if you move the HD, the OS will need to be reinstalled or redone by a repair.

The OS in the hard drive won't boot on a different hardware configuration. So if you move the HD, the OS will need to be reinstalled or redone by a repair.

actually it can if ur really lucky, but it causes blue screens and makes u think u've screwed up ur system..... and as a result trashing the system..... believe me, my freind got a bunch of good systems like that.......

So I can reinstall XP on my current hdd after putting it in my new setup and it will run smoothly with the new configuration? Will I need a new copy/license of XP, or can I use the old disc? Will reinstalling the OS delete my saved data? thanks

Depending on what the disc is, the old disc should do fine for a reinstall. You would want to format the drive and reinstalled Windows XP, so yes, all the data will be erased.

so b4 changing it do a backup of anything u want, game saves, docs, videos, pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom