Cheapest Chip with highest OC that remains stable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
weren't we talking about an e2140? the one that costs only a littel more than 3600? dont see that one up there...
my 3600 runs super pi 3 seconds faster than that benchmark shown (at a lower clock, no less).

We are talkinga bout the e2140 but it clocks about the same as the e2160 and uses the same core so it can be used as a reference.

...and so your 3600 runs superpi at 29 seconds when overclocked? Thats great because that's only 1.5 seconds faster than the e2160 @ only 1.8ghz.

and dude, are you really putting an article in your argument that says, "it (x2 6000) loses noticeably to an x6800"...? lol they forgot to mention it costs 1/4 as much.

The point was to compare a C2D clocked to 2.9ghz to a AMD @ 3.0ghz....not the actual retail chips.

...also I am giving benchmarks because that's how you actually prove something....if you want my view from an empirical stance then it's the same...I went from a 3.03ghz 4400 x2 and right now I'm only running my e6300 @ 2.8ghz and it's LOADS faster than the 4400 was in EVERYTHING I do.

The most notable difference for me was Quake 4 as I play it almost every night.

.... I was asking for the cheapest cpu that you could get to OC to 4.0+ghz

...and I'm hesitant to recommend anything because 4.0ghz is aiming quite high, especially if you don't have watercooling.

...but your best bet is a e6600, especially if you can find an older stepping.

Okay I have been reading some more and it seems that with the e6420 you can get similar OCing as with the e6600 and its roughly $50 cheaper. Glad I have not jumped the gun and purchased all my stuff yet. You all keep saving me money that I don't need to spend.

no, benchmarks really dont prove anything if they are not all-encompassing, which they are not. and i just proved to you that the superpi bench is inaccurate because my same chip at a lower clock does it faster. benchmarks do not take into account all variables, and they are not definitive, IMO.
for gods sake are we really arguing amd superpi vs intel superpi?
superpi = amd weakness. and 1.5 seconds faster with my 60 dollar x2 than any c2d is an accomplishment in my book.
how bout this...
you have your opinion, and i'll have mine. my opinion is that the 3600 performs just as well, and when not as well...so close as to be insignificant, as the e21's. and for the difference in price of cpu and motherboards, it is a better deal.
now your 6300 at 2.8 of course is going to be much faster at most things than an amd at that clock. im not arguing about an e6300.
ok?

Oh....I heard a PD 805 likes to overclock. And I've heard it could also reach, 4GHz on watercooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom