Cheapest Chip with highest OC that remains stable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the E2 and the 3600+, clocked at 3.0GHz are similar in performance. Maybe the E2 a tiny bit faster, but it's nothing really. And the 3600+, is the cheapest. I'd still vote for the e6320 if you want cheap and powerful, when overclocked.

well in terms of perentage a pentium 3 overclocks like the **** lol you can get a 100% increase on those but that only ends up as around 1ghz in the end. The 3600+ will get you far on a tight budget but the e4300 or e6320 are your best bets
Pentium 3's got to 1.4GHZ stock.
Also, Core 2 Duo's are based on Pentium 3's

I think the E2 and the 3600+, clocked at 3.0GHz are similar in performance. Maybe the E2 a tiny bit faster, but it's nothing really. And the 3600+, is the cheapest. I'd still vote for the e6320 if you want cheap and powerful, when overclocked.

the e2 is still much faster than the 3600+ when clocked at 3.0ghz

e1240aa2.jpg

Also look at the table here....
X-bit labs - New Budget Dual-Core CPUs: Intel Pentium E2160 and Pentium E2140 (page 14)
e2160 vs ex6800

The table above shows the advantage of the overclocked Pentium E2160 very clearly. It loses to Core 2 Extreme X6800 with 4MB L2 cache only in a few applications. It means that you can squeeze the performance of Intel's top dual-core processor from a sub-$100 CPU, no matter how unbelievable it sounds.

By the way, unfortunately, you cannot achieve the same result by overclocking Athlon 64 X2 3600+ or 3800+. The performance results of the 3GHz Athlon 64 X2 6000+ prove this true. It loses noticeably to Core 2 Extreme x6800, and moreover, youngest Athlon 64 X2 processors will very rarely overclock beyond 3GHz in common conditions (with air cooling only).

Pentium 3's got to 1.4GHZ stock.
Also, Core 2 Duo's are based on Pentium 3's

I didn't know they went that high I am not old enough to be around for the pentium 3's but the overclock stories I have seen people do get around 60% on stock and for some of the lower levels (600mhz) they could get a 100%+ increase

weren't we talking about an e2140? the one that costs only a littel more than 3600? dont see that one up there...
my 3600 runs super pi 3 seconds faster than that benchmark shown (at a lower clock, no less). so, meh.
four benchmarks do not make up overall performance. so, meh. you guys and your benchmarks crack me up...its like always the same five or six that intel cpus excel at. funny.
by the way, unfortunately my 3600 running at 3.2 ghz performs ESSENTIALY the same as a 6000 at 3ghz. the higher clock making up somewhat for the cahche difference (but not quite). that post about not being able to do it with low end x2's makes no sense. the cahce difference is less in x2 low and top end, so actually it is easier to achieve high end results with a low end cpu.
every 3600 i have seen on these forums (and most others) has clocked to 3+ghz.
and dude, are you really putting an article in your argument that says, "it (x2 6000) loses noticeably to an x6800"...? lol they forgot to mention it costs 1/4 as much. hmmmm.
i say mooooooooot point.
im not basing my argument here on articles. im basing it on my experience, which really is more valid, right? ;)

meh...i guess "significantly" is subjective.
and i dont think that a 2140 @ 3ghz will outperform my 3600 at the same speed. i will need some serious comparisons before i buy that opinion. and it still costs 25-30% more. even if it does outperform 3600 sometimes, does it perform 25% better? NO. the cheap allendale cpus are not conroes, no matter how hard they try. but they are pretty cheap.
cheapest cpu with high oc that remains stable? i run my 3600 at 3.1 everyday, and it cost a whopping 59 bucks.

i would think that they perform the same.... @ 3.0 ghz..... they have the same cache... 1mb right ? right? but the Brisbane would be the better choice as it is only 59$ and that little chips packs the ultimate punch!!

there's no guarantee your e6600 will get to 4.0ghz though.....in fact I highly doubt you'll be able to do that without watercooling and a good stepping.

I was not specifically asking if the e6600 will get to 4.0ghz. I was asking for the cheapest cpu that you could get to OC to 4.0+ghz.

When I made the comment about not seeing the e6600 in the list is because I see many sigs that have e6600 as the cpu and was curious if there was a cpu that was cheaper and gets consistently better results. Than I added a twist and said what is the cheapest cpu that would get you to 4.0+ consistently and remain stable daily. ( I added a few words for clarity).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom