Im building a computer, I need to find a case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachalmighty

Baseband Member
So im building a computer but I have heard that the GeForce 8800GTS doesnt fit in some cases. Since I dont know anything about cases and this is a computer forum :happy: Im gonna ask you guys.
DVD drive
Newegg.com - Pioneer Beige 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 10X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 18X DVD±R DVD Burner - OEM
ram
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
CPU
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
GPU- The Geforce 8800GTS
Newegg.com - Leadtek PX8800 GTS TDH 320MB Extreme GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
Motherboard
Newegg.com - MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

I need a case/power supply combo that puts out 640w for the power requirements and can keep my computer cool. Im on a 150 dollar budget for the case so going over that will be alright. But it needs to be able to fit that video card and components.

I cant seem to find the list for what cases it fits and doesnt. As Hardforums.com are down.

Thanks in advance, and I hope to join this community. :laughing:

For that budget on a case, I will suggest the Antec Nine Hundred:
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

It's a mid-tower, but a big mid-tower. It can fit a GTX, so obviously it can fit a GTS.

All your links don't work by the way. Except for the motherboard link, and that's a good motherboard choice.

For the power supply, either one you pick, will be a great choice. It's just a matter how much you want to spend on it:
Newegg.com - Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550W SLI Ready-ATX 12V V2.01 Power Supply 115/230 V CSA,UL,TUV - Retail
Newegg.com - HIPER HPU-4K580-MS ATX12V v2.2 580W Power Supply 100 - 120V - Retail
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail

You don't need 640W of power. It's not about the wattage. It's about the amperage. The Corsair 520HX, has alot of amps for it's wattage, and is a very rock stable PSU.

Don't get the e6400. Get the e6420. It's bascially the same price, but it has 4mb cache, compared to the e6400's 2mb cache.

Also get this pair of ram instead:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
Much better for the money.

I think you should save yourself some money, and just get the non-clocked version of the the 8800GTS. You can overclock the 8800GTS past those of the Leadtek:
Newegg.com - EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

Im not too savvy with overclocking and within 3 years I plan to get a new card anyway.

Ill go for the e6420 (itll fit that motherboard too right?)

I already bought the prevously listen ram, ****. I also bought the dvd drive, and a 250g seagate Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3250820AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Thanks for the help man now my gaming will be complete. Cant wait to play BF2142, BF2, Guild Wars 2, Supreme Commander, C&C Tiberium wars etc etc.

My old comp was a retrofitted dell dimension. I upgraded everything but the psu and processor.

1 gig dual channel DDR ram
p4 2.66ghz
ATI X1600 512mb
crappy 40 gb HD (dying on me)
the power supplies dying too.

As for a sound card what are some cheap options that provide standard sound?

I noticed that the motherboard had audio connectors on it already, can I use them instead of buying a sound card? If not ill pull out the soundblaster card from my computer from 1997. LOL. I dont have the money for the entire thing in a few months.

Thanks for your help, ill be keeping an eye out for rebates and sales, if you happen to find them before me. PM or contact me by email. :laughing:

Sure you can use the onboard sound of the motherboard. If you're not picky about sound, the onboard sound will do just fine, and is probably better than that 1997 sound card...lol...

The GTS is a good bit smaller than its big brother GTX. It will fit in a Centurion 5 or an Antec Nine Hundred. Actually ti will fit in just about all Mid-sized cases probably. However make sure you get one with good cooling such as the Centurion 5.

He has $150 for the case, so he should go for the Antec 900. Great airflow in that thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom