Asus F3SV-A1 or Sony VGN-FZ190 CTO

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitevision88

Baseband Member
I'm debating between these two amazing machines. Basically, I'm torn because the Sony looks amazingly industrial and has just a generally cool looking design.

The one question I have is:

NVIDIA 8400M GT or NVIDIA 8600M GS (with about 850MB VRAM, 1GB w/ turbocache, respectively) I know that obviously the latter is better.. but, realistically, how much is the performance going to differ between the two for something like FEAR or other current/new games. Does anyone have any 3dmark data?

Have fun trying to play FEAR on either of those cards....but oh well. I highly doubt that but oh well. I would try to get something with an 8600M GT becuase it has 32 shaders over those 16.

EDIT: And you won't get any other notebook then Im guessing?

No, I'm certainly open to suggestions, but I've been looking for a laptop for like a solid week and for my money, it certainly seems like either of those would be solid. I'm also not looking for something ridiculous with a 17" screen, that weighs 9lbs, or is $2000, which is the kind of notebooks I've seen with the 8600M GT in them.

I don't know, I haven't been all too involved with researching laptop graphics in recent months, but I find it hard to believe that the neither the 8400M GT or the 8600M GS would not be able play FEAR decently, those are two of the best notebook graphics cards available.

Does anyone have benchmarks involving these three cards at all?

What about something like this?
Newegg.com - ASUS F3 Series F3JP-AP035C-A NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T7200(2.00GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 1GB DDR2 667 120GB 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon X1700 - Retail

Don't look for DX10 cards right now since those cards won't play DX10 games very well at all really anyway. ASUS make excellent laptops.

EDIT: No they are NOT two of the best cards just becuase they are the 8 series. Just how the 8500GT and 8600GT may be 8 series cards but tons of lower series wipe wipe them out. They are actually really slow cards...it's like having a 7300GT in your notebook...not very fast at all.

well, i was looking at that one (actually, the Newegg.com - ASUS F3 Series F3JP-AS096C NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T7200(2.00GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA+ 1GB DDR2 667 160GB 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon X1700 - Retail was the one, but I got it priced at $1318) a few days ago, posted on here, and someone basically said that the x1700 sucked hardcore.

I can get that laptop for about $200 cheaper than the VAIO i spec'ed out, which is nice, but I mean... honestly.. is the x1700 going to do it for me or should I look for a better DX9.0 notebook? The other reason I was more inclined to go with the FZ190 was the weight - ideally something ~5.5 lbs would be cool, but I guess I could live with 6.5, the difference is probably negligible.

Edit: I was also kind of liking the Santa Rosa CPU's that I was looking at, but I suppose that's potentially unnecessary...

The X1700 is more powerful than those crappy low-end DX10 cards thats for sure...on a laptop it's one of the better cards your going to get really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom