Operating System disk for new Comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobojoe412

Beta member
I plan on buying new parts to make a custom computer, while keeping my current hard drive and disk drive. The problem is that I would need to reinstall the operating system (windows) once i have put the comp together. I was wondering if my current Gateway OS disk would work to reinstall it after getting the new parts in? does anyone know if that would work?
-thx

If you are buy a new board, cpu. memory, video card, and whatever the recovery disk provided with the Gateway would be totally useless since that is tied to the prebuilt system there. You will want a full version OS disk for the clean install on the new build. The Gateway disk counts on having a hidden recovery partition for the OS and software packaged with that machine including drivers for the hardwares seen there. You'll find yourself far better off leaving the Gateway disk with the Gateway stuff there.

The Gateawy disc isn't going to work. Discs like that are OEM copies of Windows and aren't to be transferred from pc to pc. They're meant to stay with the same computer forever. It's part of the EULA and besides, like eyeCpc said, it won't even install anyways. You'll need to pick up a new Windows disc, too. And just keeping windows installed on your hard drive and transferring it to the new computer won't work either. Most likely it won't boot fully--this is another M$ anti-piracy tactic.

No there is no way...but obviously if you know there is another way (against our rules) then you do have an option. It's not that windows doesn't already make a lot of money..

You can easily run a search for a full version OEM release that is one disk without the retail packaging and of course retail price tag. The XP Pro 64bit version is seen as low as $50-$65 at times. Places like Shopping.com, Bizrate, Nextag, and others are places that list prices for those among various online vendors.

The XP Pro 32bit edition usually sees a lower price then XP Home. But mwave.com takes it for the moment with XP Home seen for $82.99 at Product Details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom