Can I install..

Status
Not open for further replies.
would it not make more sense to install windows on your 80 gig and keep all your files on the 320 that way if you ever need to format all your files are already on the second harddrive

The primary hard drive should be the end IDE cable if its EIDE. If you installed windows on the other drive and did not format the 320GB, the drive will not show up.

would it not make more sense to install windows on your 80 gig and keep all your files on the 320 that way if you ever need to format all your files are already on the second harddrive

That is an option but I want to BACKUP all my files. I can't do that at the moment because my 80GB Hard Drive is full because of all my files, but most of all because of Windows, programs, games ect ect. Football manager is like 700MB.

Understand mate??

Ok, I've done this before (exact same sized drives too xD, except I was going from IDE to SATA). Get a Norton Ghost 2004 Boot Disc (I can link you if you want). I tried with Norton Ghost 9..and the '04 boot disc is waay easier. So do this: put the boot disc on a floppy, or burn it as a bootable disc. Whatever's easier for you. Make sure the new drive is formatted. Now, make sure both drives are plugged in, and make the new drive the Master, and the old the Slave (by using the jumpers). Now, boot from the disc, and then go to Local > Disk to Disk. Make sure you copy from the old drive to the new drive (you'll have to look at the sizes of the drives, and not the drive names). This will copy ALL the information from the old drive to the new drive, including any partitions the old drive had. It took me about an hour for the process to complete, seeing as the 80gb drive I had wasn't completely filled. After it's done, shut down, un-plug the old drive, and boot from the new drive. Windows should say it's recognized a new device (the new HDD) and it will probably ask you to restart. Do that. Now after it restarts, just go through your programs/make sure everything works. Just keep your old drive unplugged, and just keep booting from your new drive for a while. After you've confirmed it's working properly, you can format your old drive by (make sure it's plugged in, first, lol): right click on My Computer > Manage > Disk Management > find your old drive (you'll be able to tell this by looking at the size) > right click > format drive.

Like I said, I did this, and have an OEM copy of windows, and it's still working great =).

That's interesting mate, thanks for that.

I didn't manage to get a hold of him today but I'm going to print this thread off and see if it can help him.

Again, thanks for all the replies, Parky.

ask him one other thing. what wattage is your powersupply if you dont know

it is unlikely but if the powersupply is very weak maybe it doesnt have enough power to spin up both drives?

ask him one other thing. what wattage is your powersupply if you dont know

it is unlikely but if the powersupply is very weak maybe it doesnt have enough power to spin up both drives?

Good point, I'm not too sure myself but I'll ask him.

He never came tonight, he said he'll be round over the weekend or next week. Argh..this is driving me nuts!

Sorry guys never imagined it would take this long but it has finally been done! Thank you all for your input in this thread it was for very helpful for him.

There's just one more query that I've got. It is a 320 GB drive but when I right click the drive and select ''properties'' it says that the drives capacity is 127GB!

Why is this? I know you don't get the full capacity anyway but I was expecting at least 300 GB.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance, Parky.

Sorry guys never imagined it would take this long but it has finally been done! Thank you all for your input in this thread it was for very helpful for him.

There's just one more query that I've got. It is a 320 GB drive but when I right click the drive and select ''properties'' it says that the drives capacity is 127GB!

Why is this? I know you don't get the full capacity anyway but I was expecting at least 300 GB.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance, Parky.

Do you have service pack 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom