crysis omg

Status
Not open for further replies.
How demanding is this game...

i have
8800gtx
e6600
2gb ram

and I was told I couldn't even run this game at max settings??!?!
Thats really the only reason I got the 8800gtx.. Is this true??

This game is designed to take advantage of future hardware...so no I would not expect the 8800GTX to handle it at maximum settings unless the resolution is low (1440x900, 1024x768)

FarCry was the same way when it came out....

This game is designed to take advantage of future hardware...so no I would not expect the 8800GTX to handle it at maximum settings unless the resolution is low (1440x900, 1024x768)

FarCry was the same way when it came out....
And it will be to their disadvantage. If you are going to make a game, then you might want to make a game for the current hardware, and not tomorrow's.

Like who is going to play a game if your hardware is not going to support it.

The only way that the devs will win on this is if they are producing a game, not for the end user, however to debute their gaming graphic engine for future devs to work with.
Eg. Sourse Engine. How many games have that shown up in that are not Valve.See List

And it will be to their disadvantage. If you are going to make a game, then you might want to make a game for the current hardware, and not tomorrow's.

Like who is going to play a game if your hardware is not going to support it.

The only way that the devs will win on this is if they are producing a game, not for the end user, however to debute their gaming graphic engine for future devs to work with.
Eg. Sourse Engine. How many games have that shown up in that are not Valve.See List

It works with current hardware....its just that they have given it a bit of extra potential to tap in the future...I don't think that's a bad idea at all.

...and like I said, they did this already with FarCry and that game was quite successful.

Apparently a supercomputer of 512 Opteron processors can render 1 frame of Crysis ingame in roughly 24 hours. WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY PEOPLE

SPEED OF "ELECTRICITY"
1996 Bill Beaty

How fast does electricity flow? Well, it depends on what you mean by "electricity." The word Electricity has more than one contradictory meaning, so before we can talk about its flow, we have to decide on which of several "electricities" we really mean. For a discussion of electric current, see below. But for articles about fast-flowing electromagnetic energy, see the FAQ, or this email discussion.

OK, then how about this. When we turn on a flashlight, something called an "electric current" begins to happen. Inside the flashlight bulb, the thin filament-wire gets hot because there is electric current in the metal. This current is a motion of something. How fast does this "something" move? This question can be answered.

The quick answer
Inside the wires, the "something" moves very, very slowly, almost as slowly as the minute hand on a clock. Electric current is like a flow of syrup. Even maple syrup moves too fast, so that's not a good analogy. Electric charges flow as slowly as a river of warm putty. And in AC circuits, it doesn't move forward at all, instead it sits in one place and vibrates. Energy can flow fast in an electric circuit because metals are already filled with this "putty." If you push on one end of a column of putty, the far end moves almost instantly. Energy flows fast, yet an electric current is a very slow flow.

The complicated answer
Within all metals there is a substance which can move. This stuff has several different names: the Sea of Charge, or the Electron Sea, or the Electron Gas, or "charge." We often call it "electricity." Calling it "electricity" can be misleading because charge is not energy, yet many people think that electrical energy is the "electricity." It can be misleading because the Sea of Charge exists within in all metal objects, all the time, even when the metal has not been made into a wire and is not part of an electric device. If the Electron Sea is "electricity," then we must say that all metals are full of electricity. Better to call it by the name "charge-sea," and avoid the misleading word "electricity".

During an electric current, the wire stays still and the sea of charge flows along through it. When the flashlight switch is turned off and the lightbulb goes dark, the charge-sea stops moving forward. Even though it stops moving, the charge-sea is still inside of that wire. If the flashlight is again turned on and two light bulbs are connected in parallel instead of one, the electric current will have twice as large a value, and twice as much light will be created. And most important, the charge-sea of the battery's wires will flow twice as fast. In other words, THE SPEED OF THE CHARGES IS PROPORTIONAL TO THE VALUE OF ELECTRIC CURRENT; small current means low-speed charge flow, large current means high speed. Zero current means the charges have stopped. Note however that an electric current does not have just one speed. Charges speed up when they flow into a thinner wire. The high current in the lightbulb of a big flash-lantern will be much faster than the same current in the conductors in the lantern. Even though an electric current is a very slow flow of charges, we can't know the actual speed of flow unless first we know the *value* (the amperes) of the current in the wires.

If a thin wire is connected in a circuit end to end with a thick wire, it turns out that the charges in the thin wire move faster. This makes sense, it works just like water in rivers. If a huge wide river moves into a narrow channel, the water speeds up. When the channel opens out again downstream, the river slows down again. The flow in a very thin wire will be tend to be fast, even if the value of current is fairly low. This means that we can't know the speed of the flowing charge-sea unless we know how thick the wires are.

If a copper wire is connected into a series circuit with an aluminum wire of the same diameter, the charges in the copper will flow slower. This occurs because there is one movable charge per each atom in the metals, but there are more atoms packed into the copper than into the aluminum, so there is more charge in each bit of copper. When the charge-sea flows into the copper, it gets packed together and slows down. When it flows out into the aluminum, it spreads out a bit and speeds up. This means that we cannot know how fast the charges flow unless we know how dense the charge-sea is within the metal.

The speed of electric current
Since nothing visibly moves when the charge-sea flows, we cannot measure the speed of its flow by eye. Instead we do it by making some assumptions and doing a calculation. Let's say we have an electric current in normal lamp cord connected to bright light bulb. The electric current works out to be a flow of approximatly 3 inches per hour. Very slow!

Here's how I worked out that value. I know:

Bulb power: about 100 watts, about 100V at 1A
Value for electric current: I = 1 ampere
Wire diameter: D = 2/10 cm, radius R=.1cm
Mobile electrons per cc (for copper, if 1 per atom): Q = 8.5*10^+22
Charge per electron: e = 1.6*10^-19
The equation:

cm/sec = ________I_______ = .0023 cm/sec = 8.4 cm/hour
Q * e * R^2 * pi

This is for DC. Chris R. points out that for a particular value of frequency of AC, the "skin effect" can cause the flow of charges in the center of a wire to be reduced while the current on the surface becomes stronger. There are fewer charges flowing, and hence they must flow faster. ("Skin Effect" is stronger at high frequencies and with thick wires. The effect can USUALLY be ignored in thin wires at 60Hz power-line frequencies.)

The size of the wiggle
And about AC... how far do the electrons move as they vibrate back and forth? Well, we know that a one-amp current in 1mm wire is moving at 8.4cm per hour, so in one second it moves:
8.4cm / 3600sec = .00233 cm per second

And in 1/60 of a second it will travel back and forth by
.00233cm/sec / (1/60) = .0000389cm, or around .00002"

This simple calculation is for a square wave. For a sine wave we'd integrate the velocity to determine the width of electron travel.

So for a typical AC current in a typical lamp cord, the electrons don't actually "flow," instead they vibrate back and forth by about a hundred-thousandth of an inch.

The width of one Coulomb
On thinking along these lines I notice something interesting: in copper, one coulomb of movable electrons has a certain size! There are about 13,000 coulombs of free electrons per cubic centimeter of copper.
8.5*10^+22 elect/cc * 1.6*10^-19 coul./elect = 13600 Coul./cc

Therefore one coulomb would form a cube approximately 0.4mm across...
1/(13600cc^(1/3)) = 0.042 cm

HA! A coulomb in copper is about the size of a grain of sand! We can now discuss electric current within wires as if it were cc per second of fluid flow inside of small hoses. If an Ampere is one coulomb per second, we're REALLY saying that an Ampere is "one saltgrain-sized blob, moving each second, squeezing itself into whatever sized wire." So, for the usual sizes of wires in electric circuitry, if we deliver one salt-grain per second (one amp,) that's a very slow flow. In 16-gauge wire the saltgrain blobs would resemble very thin stacked pancakes. In 30-gauge wire the saltgrains would be almost undistorted, and charges would move at about 0.4 mm/sec during a 1-amp current.

someone came through
bowdown.gif

you dont need vista to run crysis, you need vista to run crysis w/ dx10 graphics. i thinks 6600gt would run crysis at low settings w/ low res well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom