CD Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

J03

~~~~~~~~
Ok so this REALLY ticks me off...
I was gettin ready to format my pc, zippin up setup files n all the rest of it, transferrin em all over to another PC, when DISASTER struck.
I have 2 CD Drives, one a normal CD/DVD drive (D:) and the Rewriter (E:). Both GONE!
Not in the device manager, not showin up on My Computer... totall GONE!
Now sometimes they decide their gonna work fine, but every time they do work, show up in My Computer etc, the PC lags so slow constantly its unuseable. I've tried leavin it for a good half an hour, but still i get lag, even just after bootup with NO proggies open (even tried dropping every proccess i could).

Now i've heard it could be because the connecting cables are loose, but both at exactly the same time? and with such wierd signs?

HELP!
If i dont got CD Drives i cant format, and if i cant format my PC will go further downhill.

Reply ASAP

Much MUCH appreciated
Joe
Ciao

Poipo.. how do cables turn upside by themselves?.. regardless the cables won't even fit that way.. :rolleyes:

Welcome to TF j03, anyways you might want to check and see if there's power even going to them, maybe switching the power lines from the hard drives to the roms just to see if you get a light on them. It could possibly be that your psu is going bad or it's very crappy.

Althought that's besides the point.. do the cd-roms show up in the post check? If they do then it's a problem with windows or there's a conflict between some software somewhere in your computer. So check when you boot up and see if they're showing, then you can finish backingup you files then just format and reinstall and all should work well.

they were workin fantastic for about 5 months, so im thinkin it must b a software problem....
they are recognising in boot up as far as i know
but i'd rather be confident their workin to scratch before i go totally formattin, cos if it ends up it was a hardware problem i could end up totally buggered...
so... any ideas on howto get rid of this lil problem?

U can try take it out n put it in again, c whether still got problem or not.

also here are a few things to try. Uninstall both drivers from your hardware manager and reboot. Windows will redetect and install them from scratch. Update your firmware (may help). If all else fails, disconnect them one at a time and reboot. It may allow you to find the culprit.If they are on the same IDE, make sure one is set to master and the other to slave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom