Will my Mobo be able to hold a new CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxdryicexx

In Runtime
Hey guys, I am currently running a custom built computer with an Abit Mobo (not sure on model specifics) which is currently holding a 1800+ Athlong XP 1.5ghz CPU.. I want to upgrde to a 2.16ghz 300+ Athlon XP CPU, but not sure if My Mobo would be able to hold it.. I was wondering if anyone knows anyhting about this? If I can hold a 1800+ would I be able to hold a 3000+

I got the computer about 1 1/2 years ago by the way..

ummm.. it is most likely that u can not upgrade to a 3000+
I'd be shocked if it could :(
just in case, whats the model number?

Ah ok, thanks though :)

One more thing, can you recommend some mobo's I can buy? Beucase I am mainly just looking to upgrade my CPU.. maybe get a ram stick aswell..

My current setup is 512 DDR ram (dual chips), 1.5ghz cpu, 9600 XT vid card, sound blaster audigy card w/ 80 gig HD..

If I was to get one of the newer mother boards, would I be able to transfer all of my chips Minus the CPU to it?

Looks like this is the MB you have:

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/kt266a.php

It says on that website that the particular chipset supports..." complete range of 200/266MHz Front Side Bus AMD Athlon™ and AMD Duron™ processors." So like the others have said, it's very doubtful the 3000+ will work on that MB. You can upgrade to any Athlon/Duron CPU as long as it does not exceed the 266 MHz FSB.

To be exactly sure, i would e-mail Abit and e-mail them and ask what is the fastest speed CPU your MB will support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom