PSU Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

zetahammy

Baseband Member
I just got my Rosewill 550w psu from newegg. And I noticed that it had an option extra 4-pin part to the mother board cord.. So i guess that means you could choose to have either 20 or 24 pin? My question is.. do i plug both in? why is there an option? my old one had only 20pin one and there were 4 empty slots. I guess before I keep ranting. What is recommended and why? and so on! Thanks

Use whatever is needed by the mobo. If the mobo has a 20 pin socket, use the 20 pin connector.
Now-a-days, newer mobos run off a 24 pin power connection, the psu willl run with 20 or 24 pin regardless

You plug in whatever the motherboard requires. If it only has a 20 Pin connector, then you can only plug the 20 Pin part in, the extra 4 will need to be detached. If it has a 24 Pin connector then you need to leave the 4 pins attached and click in the whole thing.

Ste-
Since when did Rosewill start making good PSUs? I saw them recommended in another thread as well. I thought they were just rebranded and cheap?

As with everything, quality changes over time(for better or for worse). No guide will ever be true indefinitly. Though I am pretty sure rosewill is not on the avoid List.

There was a time, maybe 2-3 years ago when I couldn't even dream of reccomending a rosewill PSU. But times change, I am not sure of an exact date when they became "Acceptable" to the common computer builder.

They are Cheaper than other brands, but for their price they are "bang for the buck."

I myself would never buy anything outside this list: But thats just because I am anal about power supplies.
PC Power and cooling
Etasis
Zippy
Seasonic
Corsair
Silverstone
OCZ Technologies (Excluding Modstream Line)
Enhance
Fortron (FSP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom