finished building, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And your sure the 20/24 and 4 Pin connector are plugged in.

Also if the Video card has a Connector, it needs to Be plugged in.

If that is all done and it still does not turn on.
To see if the Power supply is bad, DISSCONNECT IT FROM EVERYTHING except a few case fans, Then using a rubber glove or anything that insults your hand, take a paper clip, One end into a Black Wire on the 20/24 Pin connector and the other end into a Green wire on the 20/24 Pin connector.
post-3835-1160109376.jpg

IF the power supply does not turn on after the paper clip is in both (At same time) wires, then the PSU is bad and needs to be RMAed.

OK, it didn't work... again... nothing at all. Here is how everything has happened. I got everything hooked up and ready to go. When I would turn the power on, the fans and LEDs flicked on for a second then shut off. I took it apart and tried a barebone start up, absolutely nothing. Then, I did the wire thing in the 20/24 connecter and it powered up right away and the fan i hooked it up to spun. I put everything back together, tied wires more carefully, no molex touching metal. I changed the plug to the vid card and put in a 6 pin to molex plug adapter thing. now nothing happens... again. any ideas? the PSU works, cuz the paper clip thing worked.

Since the PSU works, and the only time it doesn't work is when its in the case, this leads me to believe that is is a grounding issue with the motherboard.

make sure you used the correct standoffs.

If you have other devices connected besides just RAM, CPU and Video card when mobo is in case, start connecting them one at a time, turning on computer each time, add a new part each time the previous allows the computer to POST properly. Once you hit the part that causes the split second power on then power off, its likely a problem with that part or connector to it.

Though its still most likely a mobo/standoff/grounding issue as you can get it to work outside of case but not in case..

@ste "ok, i have it hooked up to the mother board and the video card with the processor outside the case... nothing.... it doesn't even turn on now."

Id RMA the Power supply, just to elminate it completly from this Problem. (Though it is possible to get another bad one, though rare)

As it seems that it cannot maintain a heavier load than just a few fans or barebone components.

This is a strange problem, I would do the paper clip thing one more time, to see if the PSU is really dead. If it powers on again, I would try the barebone test, AGAIN... lol

If it doesnt turn on, def RMA it..

It is also possible that the Motherboard has a bad connection somewhere on the 20/24 Pin Connector. (On the mobo itself)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom