Overpricing PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake91839

In Runtime
This isn't really a help question, but more of me asking you guys to share your experiences. I work at a local best buy with the geek squad, and pretty much everyone on geek squad (most are not geeks ironically lol) share the same knowledge as me on computers, which isn't everything, but certainly enough to do the job.. and then some :)

Well, we are astonished at the sales people, and the lack of knowledge they have on the computers they sell, they try to sell people 2 thousand dollar computers (that aren't worth that much in the first place) just for a family computer for movies and music. Also, other staff members have a horrible knowledge of computers, I once heard a costumer ask what the difference between a regular network cable and a crossover was, and the employee had to come and ask me :O

Now, I am not in any way "bashing" on where I work or the people, because they do get the questions answered, but I was wondering if any people have experienced this from a customer point of view :)

P.S. Mods, if this is in the wrong section, please move it :)

Yes this is true. The Geek Squad hires people base on their appeal and give the employees a book to refer to. Best Buy, along with other retail stores, really like to overprice their items. A box-of-junk and run up to at least 2k and its worth 400-500 in parts...

yes, it is very hard to let these salespeople rattle on about stuff that is not true and they don't know :(

but at the same time, just about every store that sells computers does this....

Its true in just about any industry you can think of. Sales people sell things even if they have no idea what they're selling.

Just look at the shop at home stations. They can't even read the paper in front of them.

They're on commission, I assume. So the more they sell, the more commission they get. Frankly they don't really care...lol..

lol....but my aunt is ****ed that I showed her $1200 computer, can be had for $700, that she bought from a retailer.

They're on commission, I assume. So the more they sell, the more commission they get. Frankly they don't really care...lol..

lol....but my aunt is ****ed that I showed her $1200 computer, can be had for $700, that she bought from a retailer.

You don't know how many times I've explained this to people and I also explain that I can build them a pc for under $700(me making min.$150 profit) and they still go with f..n bbuy, ccity, or walmart. You know why? They believe they can get quality service and that stupid extended warranty..in other words, peace of mind knowing they bought from a "legit" retailer. LOL, but I get the last laugh when a few months down the line they call me bcus their p.o.s. pc is having issues. That's when I make a little extra $$$

lol...that's what always happens to me. My aunt told me, she was told that Dell is the best computer company. (I was on the floor already LMAO). She wouldn't believe me, when I said they were in fact, the worst... So I made a bet with her...haha..

the best computer company is all relation though as its a balance between quality of hardware/price/performance.

Dell rubbish quality/ ok prices for low end but insane for mid-high end/ ok performance but severely limited through poor hardware.

Alienware good quality parts/ outrageous prices at all ends/ good performance

yea pc world in the uk is the worst you walk in ask for something techy they walk and never come back (eg i was 13 and nieve whent to buy some parts and ask the diferecne bewteen the two got a blank look and he disapered, few yrs thought i give 2nd chance (i now 16) looking to buy first laptop for collegde ask for at lest a 2.6 long bat life and light weight and i named three posibles i saw online they said umm we dont sell those here here a laptop that is a p4 3 ghz weight = 4KG!! i walked out in disguyst never brought anything pc from a shop again! (im now 20)

i once heard a geeksquad employee telling a cust. that 100gb was insane amount of storage for him, btw he wanted a comp to make and edit dvd's home movies and watch hd stuff. he said "100gb thats a huge amount of space you problaly wont ever use all of that up in your lifetime."

He was going on and on and on for like 30mins telling these lies, I Finally got ****edand just told the guy that everything beng told to him was a lie, and i suggested he get a better processor,ram,gfx,and bigger hd, i offred to build one for him or tell him some sites where he coud choose what he wanted, and he said he would give it a shot.

As for the geeksquad guy he felt really ****ed/emberassed and told the customer I didn't know what i was talking about, and that he knew what he was talking about thats why he had the shirt on:). anyways he bought a pc online gave me 20$ on the spot for helping him and received some very nice calls from him telling me how i helped him and 10x.

Also I was thrown out of the store:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom