college laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

misleep1

Beta member
Hi i need to buy a laptop for college. ive never had a laptop before (always used desktops) but i am very computer-savy. the college supports both pcs and macs, and im not sure which one i would prefer. the new macbooks are appealing though i have always used pcs in the past. i despise and will not buy a dell, which is often a favorite among laptop buyers.

I need help making the pc vs mac decision and it would also help if you could suggest some pc laptops that would be smart purchases. Im going to be using the laptop a LOT (portability is important, 14" screen probably) and i will be multitasking a lot but only with multiple windows of simple programs like word proc, internet, messenger, itunes, etc.

by the way, the only thing that has stopped me from buying a macbook is my little exposure to macs. ive used them, but not enough to get used to not having an easy right click, etc. everyone also says that macs are easy for noobs to use, and im definately not a noob. i like to feel like i can get inside the computer and alter the configuration. maybe you can do this with macs i just get the impression u cant so much.

thanks

*OH, also, i havent heard a lot of good things about vista. i have xp on my desktop, ive used vista, but not much. if i get a pc should i go with xp professional or what?

Well, the only reason I wouldn't go with a mac is if you want to game... other than that you will be surprised at how easy OS X is to pick up, and how user friendly it is.

for college purposes, I would definitely go with a Macbook pro if you have the money.

Now, if you want to go with a different laptop, I would go with either IBM thinkpads (I love thinkpads) :) or .... well, lol, Thinkpads are the best in my opinion. And you can still get them with XP , I don't like vista either.

In the end, I think you would be the happiest with a Macbook, they are amazing, they run with a UNIX based OS, and well, doesn't that say it all ? :)

And I despise dell as well :) and you will not be disappointed with a Mac :D

Well, besides word processing, internet and messaging, are you going to be using it for anything else?

Examples:

Photo/Video Editing
3D Programs (3D Studio Max)
Web Designing

If you are, then maybe Mac isn't such a bad choice. However, it may be hard to switch over after using PC's forever.

- Finally, the Vista issue.

MY ANSWER: It is really just your personal preference. If you don't mind learning new things here and there and aren't frustrated with having a few problems, then go with Vista. It is the future. However, if you are so set that you do not want to move from XP, so be it; use it until you can't any longer.

I've just bought a Gateway widescreen tablet for college with Vista. It works great and looks great, so it was the right decision for me. If I were you I would consider it, it'll help keep you very organized with the notes and such. As for Vista, I've had no problems with it at all, in fact, I like it more than XP. I think that if you get a computer that is made for Vista with good specs, you won't have any problems. The only complaint I have about it is that it tries to keep me too safe. It is kind of hard to change most of the security settings.

Yes, KFC is right, It will run fine, but, If you do try to do some gaming or video editing, I've had Vista slow me down.

I've also had bad experiences with Gateway :)

But yes, It is all personal preference, A lot of my friends in college have Macs and they love them :)

(Can't wait til they start making it so we can build our own laptops :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom