Need a good ghetto-***** computer for University.

Status
Not open for further replies.
With your intended use of the laptop in mind, your LARGEST factors for consideration will be budget, and battery life. With battery life in mind, you will want to get a pretty new processor, lean towards an Intel Core 2 Duo.

Aside from a children's tyco laptop you can get at Toys'R'Us for $20, ANY laptop on the market will be sufficient to fulfill your needs.

Hey guys thanks for the replies, been busy sorry I didn't update.

Well, I have approx. $900 CDN to work with (842.982 USD). I'm actually more confused now than I was before. I always thought Toshiba's were good, but a few weeks ago I heard they were crap. Now someone is telling me they're nice. I also thought Acer's were good, but now someone is telling me they're crap. I'm so confused....

Anyways, again, simple stuff essentially. I have a pretty decent desktop so I don't need anything intense. Again, internet usage, maybe some programs - but nothing like rendering or videogaming. Maybe throw in AdobeCS2 in it if I'm up for it. But I would like the laptop to last me at least 2 or 3 years of University.

Also try to resist newegg.com links because I can't order from it. Anything that ships to Canada is good though.

:)

If anyone could pick me out a laptop from FUTURESHOP.ca that'd be nice seeing as how I live like 5 minutes away from one.

any laptop will do for the tasks you want..... your minimum specs should be

cpu: 1.6ghz M
ram: 512mb (with xp 1gb with vista)
hdd: however much music you have..... 80gb is pretty standard
make: acer (general use), dell(general/buisiness), toshiba(general/media centre use), hp (general/buisiness)

my laptop is 3-4 years old and is an acer travelmate 290 and it's incredible it has survived so much abuse, I have pushed it to the hardware limits and further, never had a single problem apart from last week the enter key broke off but a bit of super glue and everything is fine again :) so I recommend acer

Thanks guys,

General question. Is there any processor in particular to stay away from, or any processor in particular to really watch out for?

Keep them coming. :D

core 2 duo that is a good processor
stay away from the celeron processors
and i like toshibas because thier laptop cases are good
thats what i'm using right now a toshiba laptop-and i got it for a little under $700

sys specs
Pentium D 940@3.9GHZ
ECS mobo NFORCE-570 SLIT-A
2.5GB-Kingston ram
120GB HDD
8600GTSx2 in SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom