What should i charge the guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, this is really my first public repair, all other repairs i have done were for friends or family. so, being as they're not a relative or etc...and i put money into this cursed tower, how much should i charge? this is what i have done:

UPgraded ram from 256mb to 768mb
UPgraded hdd from failing 60gb to WD 80gb SE
added 20gb storage drive
UPgraded psu from 250w to 350w
Cleaned system
copied entire failing 60gb contents to 80gb (~2 days)
added rear 80mm cooling fan to help with overheating
UPgraded cpu from 1.6ghz P4 to 1.8ghz
replaced fried cd-rw drive with cdrw/dvdrom combo drive
upgraded ide cables from 40w to 80w
defragged the hdd with diskeeper
increased MFT size
increased Paging file size
and cleaned up startup items

so how much do you think i should charge?

I'd say, if it works correctly, and its all back up and running, pay what you think you worked for.

Also, if you put some of your own parts in there, charge some for them - don't just give them away.

Maybe between $25 - $30/ hour??

If you were CircuitCity or BestBuy, I'd estimate $900 "Labor" + $100 Parts...with little exaggeration! Crazy people at those places.

But I guess it depends on how you value your time. What does s/he think s/he's going to pay? :p

How much time did it take you ? I'd charge 15-20 an hour but make sure the bill doesn't exceed 200 or so in labor as if you give him a "good" deal then he'll come back later and recommend you.

I dunno..I always give people the best deal I can so then everyone wins...and they'll have only good stuff to say about you...this strategy has always worked for me even when I'm just buying/selling things on ebay or forums.

Cost of parts plus a percentage (I hope you worked out a basic price before hand). I usually either do parts at price plus shipping (for friends and relatives), and price plus shipping plus 10%-20% (depending on price of part) for others.

Estimate your labor and pick your hourly wage. I usually set a general price for the whole thing and worry about the labor on my own. I don't use an hourly rate since I may or may not work on it in hour blocks.

if you plop out a price that is too high, they may or may not pay but you won't get any more business from them or anyone they talk to. If it is too low, you'll be swamped by cheapskates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom