Computer Won't Turn On!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me it sounds as if your mobo took a dump on you, have you got a old one to see if the rest of the equipment works with the new one?

To me it sounds as if your mobo took a dump on you, have you got a old one to see if the rest of the equipment works with the new one?

Well I have an old P3 machine that I can test the HD and video card with...but I cant test the memory cuz I dont have another p4 board.

I have to agree with Chris, the mobo sounds fried. You can take your CPU and find another p4 system thats compatible to check that but it could be an awe full lot of trouble. When you say case fan do you mean the CPU fan or an air intake fan? What I am getting at is, is that fan plugged into the mobo or directly into the powersupply?

Sounds like the mb is the culprit. I know this has nothing to do with your pc not booting up, but did you set that new optical drive as master. You mention that b4 when u tried to install both drives one didn't work. Maybe 'cus you didn't set one for master and other slave.
Anyway, mb is probably lost.
Good luck

I have to agree with Chris, the mobo sounds fried. You can take your CPU and find another p4 system thats compatible to check that but it could be an awe full lot of trouble. When you say case fan do you mean the CPU fan or an air intake fan? What I am getting at is, is that fan plugged into the mobo or directly into the powersupply?

No the case has a fan on its side that blows air out of the case. That fan used to be plugged in to a neon bulb and always worked. However when this happened the fan would not turn on so I disconnected it from the neon bulb and connected it directly to one of the cables coming out of the power supply. Thats when it would turn on but it spun slowly and sputtered.

Now late last night the fan on the cpu...I guess the heatsink...started to sputter a bit. It didnt do that this morning though.

Sounds like the mb is the culprit. I know this has nothing to do with your pc not booting up, but did you set that new optical drive as master. You mention that b4 when u tried to install both drives one didn't work. Maybe 'cus you didn't set one for master and other slave.
Anyway, mb is probably lost.
Good luck

When I first tried to install it months ago I set it as the slave and the cdrw was the master. The weird thing is that the dvdrw would work sometimes. But most of the times when the pc was turned on you would see the light go on and then after a minute it would turn off and you couldnt access it through my computer. I thought it was drivers (didnt come with any should be jut plug and play) I downloaded all sorts of stuff to get it to work and nothing. So I pulled it out and forgot about it.

Then on Sunday my CDRW started to go (btw my cpu was built in 03) so I thought Ill swap them out to give it another shot. Thats when I blew the dust out...plugged it in and the rest is history.

If the case fan sputtered when plugged into both PSU's either the fan is going bad or the PSU isn't being supplied with enough power. Check the dip switch on the back to make sure it set to the correct voltage for your location and try an outlet in a different part of the house, i.e. one on a different circuit.

If the case fan sputtered when plugged into both PSU's either the fan is going bad or the PSU isn't being supplied with enough power. Check the dip switch on the back to make sure it set to the correct voltage for your location and try an outlet in a different part of the house, i.e. one on a different circuit.

Yeah the dip switch was set at the 115 (Im in the us by the way)...I never touched it to begin with though.

I also tried different outlets although in the same room. But Ill go ahead and try it in other rooms to check. The funny thing is that the last couple of nights the power had gone out and on, out and on several times. Now my pc was acting up before then (not turning on) but thought Id throw that in.

One last question from me...when you installed the new drive, you did unplug the computer from your elect.outlet? Or did you have your power cord hooked up first to the pc then you plugged into elect.outlet?
I ask bcus my buddy recently fried his mb by hooking up his pc powercord first to the wall then to his pwrsuply...then a major spark! Mb RIP
My advice is to put that mb to rest and move on to a bigger and better pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom