Fan connection to motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uberg

Baseband Member
Well i've got all the parts to connect up, i fitted the processor and RAM fine, then started plugging in all the other bits.

I'm completely stumped with the fan on the side of the case though, as it's incompatible with my motherboard. The lead from it has three little pins on, but the place where the manual says it plugs into the motherboard is just completely flat with three metal dots. On my old motherboard it had a sticking up bit where it was obviously meant to be plugged in.

Have i bought the wrong motherboard or am i trying to install it wrong? Will my PC crash and burn if it doesnt have the side fan?

Edit:
Should it be be sys_fan or pwr_fan?

There should be other places somewhere on your mobo to plug it into, usually there are 3 or 4. It wont kill your pc to be without it and you can mod the wires to use molex if you cant find another spot on the mobo and dont want to get a regular molex fan.

It wont matter if you dont run the side fan, if one is meant to be connected to the mobo and it isnt then you would get a error message pop up on bootup to let you know, if it isnt doing this then it tells me your mobo doesnt have any more connectors for fans.
What you can do though is buy another fan with the 4 pin plug, that just goes straight into your psu, no need for it to touch the mobo.

There is a place it fits where there are 4 little pins, and one is left over as i only need 3 called sys_fan. Is that what i want?

Plug it in and try it, it wont hurt, but as i said if you really cant find any place for it on the mobo just buy a fan with 4pin molex connecter and plug it into your psu

Ok cheers, as for all the other little connections that come from the front of the case (HDD LED etc), there are tonnes of little bits where they could plug in, how should i know which ones go in where?

It would possibly say it in really small letters on the mobo or also if you look in the mobo manual it should tell you.

usually the female ends are labeled to match whats printed on the motherboard, if it looks different or you don't know what one means you can always google the nomenclature.

Thanks, but a slightly more important matter has cropped up.

I updated: motherboard, processor, ram, psu.

I'm 99% certain they all work fine together. But when i turn it on... silence... nothing happens. The power supply doesnt even kick in.

Have i done something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom