The Damage So Far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a budget of $2000 but if I dont hit that it just means I can buy a few extra cases of Bawls for the inagural LAN party.

The PSU is definatly there for accomidation. I don't want to run into problems later on down the road. And why can't I just overclock the 6600?

The ToughPower's shouldn't give you any problems. I assume he just suggested the FSP because it's cheaper and is also good. There are lots of choices you have if you're willing to spend $170:

Corsair 620W
Any Silverstone/Seasonic assuming it has enough power
Any PC Power and Cooling
Toughpower
FSP
etc. etc. all good ones

And why can't I just overclock the 6600?

You can. E6420 gets to around the same clocks though from $40 less and with your mobo/ram, you won't have a problem with them bottlenecking your overclock due to the lower multiplier.

oh ur budget is $2k?? well ignore what i say then... but i advise u not to spend more than $1700, remember things get outdated really quick......

You can. E6420 gets to around the same clocks though from $40 less and with your mobo/ram, you won't have a problem with them bottlenecking your overclock due to the lower multiplier.

That is a very good point and I will do some math for that overclocking tomorrow at work.

the reason y i started recommended e6420 over the e6600 is because u now get the 2 mb extra cache....... and u can save some dough

If you truely have a budget of 2 Grand. And you want your power supply to last...

The Power supply in my Sig.
PC Power and Cooling, 610 Watts continious, 670 Peak.

Its uber..
Toughpowers are ok, but there are better choices for the money.

Course you can't go wrong with any of the brands on my Simple list, Stated on the Power supply guide linked in my sig.

The e6600, gets up towards 3.4-3.6GHz. And the e6420 will get up towards about 3.0-3.2GHz.

The e6600, gets up towards 3.4-3.6GHz. And the e6420 will get up towards about 3.0-3.2GHz.

Yeah it's really a gamble now though as the newer e6600's aren't clocking so well....but still I'd rather get an e6600 as the majority hit 3.4ghz+ and it's more rare for a e6320/e6420 to do 3.4+

As for the PSU....the Toughpower series are excellent...very powerful, stable, and reliable...the PC power and cooling is indeed of higher quality and more stable...but has considerably less power than the Toughpower...don't get me wrong...more stability and quality in a PSU is ALWAYS a good thing...but for the average user there's a point of diminishing return and the PC Power & Cooling 610 is a bit beyond that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom