card VS. cpu... help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacerX

Baseband Member
OK, this is pretty close to the build I'm going with for my friend's comp. She will NOT bo OC-ing, and only ocasionally plays games like the Harry Potter and Syberia series.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...hListNumber=7098767&WishListTitle=courts+comp

It's been suggested to me that the vid card I'm going with will not cut it with the monitor I chose. Is this really the case considering her gaming preferences and the fact that she will mostly just be using programs like photoshop?

If the card is weak, even though no FPS or hard core gaming will be done, should I cut back on the CPU to be able to afford the 7900GS. People have already suggested this, but it was before I made it clear that she will not be OC-ing the rig or playing hard core games. Also, the monitor is already on the way, so I can't go with anything smaller there.

Thanks in advance for any input.

ok a couple of things, go for the black HZ RAM, its 109$ and better, get the x2 3600+ OEM for 56$, consider an upgrade to a 7900gs.... also consider overclocking that x2 3600+ maybe to 2.4 ghz, cuz its a real performer... but then u need an after market cooler, the arctic freezer64 is about the same price as what u have npw

also another thing to consider is going Intel way because i just realized that u have a budget higher than 700$

get:

e4300
gigabyte ds3
G-Skill HZ
7900gs
centurion 5 case
250gb HD

I think she might like to play the order of the phoenix... is it going to require a high end pc?

actually, my entire budget for everything including the case and OS is only $700 (after spending $300 on the monitor). So I need to make some cuts (especially if I'm going to go with the 7900GS).

also another thing to consider is going Intel way because i just realized that u have a budget higher than 700$

get:

e4300
gigabyte ds3
G-Skill HZ
7900gs
centurion 5 case
250gb HD
w00t thats simalar to the build i want :tounge:

get a e2160 or whatever it is, maybe, those things are KICK as5 at oc'ing. just oc for her, she wont know :tounge:

oh i forgot about them... but i can't seem to find it, when i look up core 2 duo....

Stick with the AMD. The 7600GT should do fine even with the high res at Harry Potter games. Those games are meant to play on pretty much any computer since they target the casual crowd (and I don't think she would mind if she had to turn down a couple settings anyway which I doubt she would have to) and photoshop doesn't depend on the graphics card, but rather the CPU.

Your not overclocking, you don't need HZ ram or an after market cooler like Vernong says and the lowest end Core 2 Duos are not worth it. Your build is fine with the sole exception of the power supply. I've said before the Smart Power's are horrible and they die within a year almost all the time..

Newegg.com - FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX400-PN, RoHS, 12cm FAN, version 2.2, 2 SATA, 20+ 4 pin, PCI Express, 400W Power Supply - Retail

This will run it fine and is much higher quality for the same price except you don't even have to worry about the rebate.

(Take newegg reviews with a grain of salt but even there over half of the reviews note their SmartPower dying within a year and lots of the positive reviews there are from people that just bought and hence didn't have enough time to let it die on them yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom