LCD Monitor Help Pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riznarf

In Runtime
Hello, I'm looking to buy a new monitor and am looking for a 20.1" widescreen. First off, how is the reputation of Sceptre?

I was first looking to buy: Newegg.com - SCEPTRE X20WG-1080P Black 20.1" 5ms(GTG) 1080P HDCP supported Windows Vista Certified DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 Built in Speakers - Retail

but then I read some reviews and saw ALOT of customers were having problems with dead/stuck pixels (approx 1/3 of the reviews had trouble)

So i started looking around at other monitors, but they only had a contrast ration of 800:1 where as the above monitor has 1000:1, or it has 1600x1200 resolution as opposed to 1680x1050 (which is better?) or WSXGA rather than WSXGA+

So, can someone tell me:

a) what're some good monitors?
b) will i REALLY notice a difference between a 8ms and 5ms refresh rate?
c) whats a better resolution, 1600x1200 or 1680x1050 (theyll both be 1080p compatible, right?)
d) whats the difference between all the display types (WSXGA+ etc...)

Thanks alot,

if you are ever planning on plugging in your xbox 360 if you got one into your screen, definately go the 16:9 monitor, right now it just stretches to suit the 16:10, ="(, hopefully xbox will just release a patch to allow it. Other than that, go the 1680x1050 cause the extra height looks great, my only regret abotu getting one is the whole xbox thing, but oh well, i guess ill just have to use my 1080p plasma =D

hp w2207 is an AMAZING monitor 22inches of pure visual bliss. Glossy type makes all the difference my friend, they usually retail for 379 and u can find it at most best buys or circuit cities. Seriously get a glossy type monitor when you compare a reg lcd and a lcd glossy the difference will blow you away its like a plasma vs a black and white tube....maybe a slight exageration. :) hope this helps

LG and Samsung make some of the most top quality monitors becuase they are good for making LCD TV's. However Hanns G and Viewsonic are my favorite budget monitors becuase they still look great but just not as nice and the aesthetics isn't as nice as the Samsung. Scepter don't make "bad" monitors but I would prefer my Hanns G is all.

Most top brand monitors take components from ACER monitors ,like LG and such, so don't look down on ACERs.

I own a Spectre. A CRT Spectre. I had this monitor for almost 7 years now and surpisingly its still working...

Also, I heard great things about Dell monitors but I never actaully got to see one in person or owned one.

The Dell panels are just rebranded Samsungs - so effectivley Dell and Samsung are par with each other, it's not really specific brands that get dead/stuck pixels, its just luck of the draw I have 3 dead Pixels on my Samsung 193v whereas I know alot of people with the 193v yet have none! I would say brands to stick to are Acer, Samsung, Dell, BenQ, LG, Mirai and a few others, try and find out what panels they have in them, that can often tell you the sort of quality you will be getting.

EDIT: Oh, Viewsonic, iiyama and Eizo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom