Budget PC, Brisbane or Windsor core?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so tweaking it a bit more... You're saying the 8600GT stock 540Mhz can oc to a performance level of an 8600GTS stock 700MHz? Is this kinda the same idea as with the cpus? Does the GTS offer any other options not found on the GT?

I hate how people still say 8600's suck just cause all the reviews were when it cost $200.. Draw your own conclusions, don't just take it from whatever you effing read.

An 8600GTS is the same thing as the 8600GT except clocked lower and when overclocked the GT slightly beats the GTS stock. (the GTS does have more overclocking potential though but it's not worth it since you seem to be on a tight budget). And at those speeds, it compares to or beats the X1950Pro and also gives you DX10 as an added bonus + new video decoding tech.

It is true however that you shouldn't buy these cards if you're looking for them to play DX10 games well but I'm sure they will play them decently enough.. You obviously won't be playing Crysis with max settings with AA/AF but med-high + tiny bit of aa/af at a lower resolution seems to be reasonable. Unoptimized, it's been shown that a GTX can play it max with a high resolution well so I think the 8600's will do ok.. And the DX10 stuff so far that's been released has only been ports or patches so you really can't say from them who demanding dx10 will really be.

i say then go for the 8600gt and overclock it somes, if u really want to go all out on ocing an 8600gt get a Zalman aftermarket vga cooler to do the job

ok, if u wanna get the stock speeds of the gts using a gt (i'm using an xfx vs xfx so these might be higher than the stocks of each card) push the Core Clock of the GT from 620 to 675, and the memory clock to 2000 from 1600, i think that can cause some artifacts issues... but not entirely sure

Ok, so tweaking it a bit more... You're saying the 8600GT stock 540Mhz can oc to a performance level of an 8600GTS stock 700MHz? Is this kinda the same idea as with the cpus? Does the GTS offer any other options not found on the GT?

Not the same.. GT's overclock to about GTS stock clocks but GTS's can overclock way past their stock clocks. The two are the same though except for the clock difference.

Not the same.. GT's overclock to about GTS stock clocks but GTS's can overclock way past their stock clocks. The two are the same though except for the clock difference.

that and the gts needs a pci-e power connector and hdcp

x2 3600 and x2 4400 are not identical (depends on the comparison i guess...the brisbanes are)
3600 brisbane has 2 x 512kb L2, 3600 windsor has 2 x 256kb. and the 4400 windsor has 2 x 1MB, while the 4400 brisbane has the same 2 x 512kb as the brisbane 3600.
and yes, the difference in cache makes a SMALL difference in performance. usually it can be compensated for by the higher overclocking ability, lower power consumption, and cooler operation under load (ie better stability).
okay? enough arguing. i have them BOTH. get a brisbane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom