AUTHZ.dll error. Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zardoz

Solid State Member
I did my best to search the net and windows site for an answer but I wasnt having much luck with this. Anyway, a friend calls and says he's getting this error when he boots up, then the screen goes black.

The procedure entry point authzinitialize could not be located in the dynamic link library. AUTHZ.dll

He tried to do a 'repair' with the XP disk but didnt work. Also he claims he cant get into safe mode either. I thought i'de ask and see what you guys think before I go over there and mess with it.

He's using WinXP sp2 and a couple weeks ago I went over there and reformatted and reinstalled everything for him. Everything worked good for a couple weeks. Scanned the heck outta everything, put in ZoneAlarm, Anti-V and Spybot/adaware, did a symantec port scan...but he still found a way to mess it up..lol
Not sure what happened but any tips would be very appreciated.

That's not a critical Microsoft system file. But a free scan for error messages involding the authz.dll file an be run at authz.dll - What is authz?

One tool included in Windows can also help replace any system files that get lost or corrupted called the system file checker. With the XP disk in the drive simply type "sfc /scannow" in at the Run prompt. That verifies files first and then proceeds to replace any found missing or worse.

Thank you. I went over and ended up not having a prob reinstalling/repairing XP. But after gettin back into it there was a swarm of other probs.. odd things (another post, another time hehe but no virus/spyware came up). Im going to stop over tommorow night and do what you said and see where its at.

Ill post a HJT next time if Im at a loss... thx

It sounds like the repair install didn't go to well when not fully copying replacement files to the drive. You may want to look the disk over carefully for any spots or scratches and use a lens cleaner on the optical drive. If the current installation is too polluted with things like too many temp folders and other clutter you may heve to delete the current installation for a fresh copy of Windows.

A reformat of the drive to see a good clean install work is obviously a last resort there. But let's see how the other works first. The only time you should need to reformat a drive is when there's clear indication of a virus. Remember the two things about cleaning the lens and inspecting the disk unless the lazer in the drive is starting to go on the other machine? That will cause problems fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom