static and my mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkywaggnelz

In Runtime
i was trying to build my comp yesterday. I don't think it would have killed my mobo or anything, but i'm being paranoid as i have never built one before sooo yeah. my case was on a small, not very fuzzy at all area rug so it wouldnt scuff my moms hardwood floors. i didnt slide it around or ne thing.i was on the hardwood floor and in contact with the case (with my knee) the whole time i was touching the mobo. then i put it back in the box and walked over carpet to get it back to my room. i wont have ne probs will i?

also, it doesnt seem like ne of my mobo mounts are lining up with the holes in the mobo. there are holes in the mobo with like for 4 metal notches above and below the hole (8 arrayed around one side total) do i use those for mounts too or not?

also how can i hand the mobo? i mean are they pretty durable? i've been careful to only touch the sides where there is no metal or ne thing. is this ok?

Before working on a computer, in a carpeted area, I just touch any metal part of the case for a few seconds, before I start working. That will ground you. And just keep contact with the case's metal parts.

It's best to handle the motherboards, on it's sides, but I've seen people holding it the other too.

OK, so I should be good with the static thing.

ive been holding it on its sides but i mean, i feel like im gonna kinda have to use some force to get it into the I/O shield thing. i dunno, im just worried i will mess something up.

b1apl, you should like be the mod of this like particular thread room. you always answer questions so promptly. thanks!

when i build mine i didnt use anything and i was fine. and i got expensive parts. u should be fine

yeah its one of those first time scary thijngs. its ok once u get used to it and u dun get scared ne more. now days im like oh no bent capacitor oh well it was never straight ne way lol.

I once was putting my video card back in after cleaning it off and spilled my whole cup of CoolAid into my case. I was at a LAN party and somebody had brought a bunch of bottled water, so I just rinsed it out and borrowed an electric leaf blower to dry it out in the driveway. That was many years ago and it still runs like a champ as my personal backup server.

Has anybody else shorted out their comp because you touched a component on the mobo, didn't realize it was on and panicked? Thats a scary 60 seconds waiting for the capacitors to clear to see if you did any real damage.

Yup - I shorted many things out on my PCs, until I shorted out my X800GTO and cooked it to death, it just artifacted permanantly and luckilly I RMA'd it, I have shorted my PSU out in the past taking fans down to 5V and managing to get the frayed ends in the +12v and Ground on a Molex!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom