Printer and printer cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instrumediatech

Baseband Member
Greetings!!

Here's something I've not encountered before...

I have an old HP Deskjet 820Cse that's been a workhorse for the past 12 years. I brought it to work and used it with my IBM ThinkPad....until our IT department refreshed our computers. Now I have a Dell Latitude 810 - but it has no serial printer port...only USBs. The local CompUSA provided me with a USB Parallel Printer cable so I can connect the two.

But it doesn't work. The correct drivers are installed and the printer is installed, but the computer doesn't communicate with the printer to print anything...no test page, no documents...nothing.

Microsoft troubleshooter doesn't help either, and says to seek assistance elsewhere.

To me, "elsewhere" is Tech-Forums. Any thoughts would be appreciated....

Z

get a new printer :)

trust me its not worth buying cable converters, etc for that antique, you can get your self a nice all-in-one for $50 for an example Lexmark x2350

try turning off the computer or watever your using before you connect because i dont think you can hot-swap with a parallel converter, once ebvry thing is connected you can but the system on

Yeah - I was afraid someone would suggest that...

It's really a shame that these things can chug along with no problems, and then suddenly die - just a person...or a Subaru with 80,000 miles on it.

(Before anyone gets bent out of shape, when I was in the car business, a friend who was a Subaru tech said there were three kinds of Subarus - those that die at 50,000 miles, those that die at 80,000, and those that run forever. The problem is you don't know which one you have until you hit those thresholds.)

Thanks!!

Z

Get an external print server such as HP JetDirect or Lexmark MarkNet and make it a network printer. Of course they cost as much or more than a new printer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom