Laptop for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

gloomer

In Runtime
Hey guys. I've been looking around for quite a while.

I think this is a good laptop. Lenovo is supposed to be a decent "toughbook"

manufacturer. I want it to be very durable and dependable and have a long life span.

http://www.frontierpc.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=2044198297

That's what I"m looking at. Cost-effective, and the right speed. It'll drag on Windows Vista though. Which is why I won't be using Windows Vista.

This is going to be a linux laptop. Running different types of Distros. So I don't need to worry about performance issues.

I'm just wondering about longevity. How long can I expect out of this laptop? Is it hardy and durable?

What about the battery life. I'm going on a lot of trips so this is very important.

Well... It's not the best lappy I've ever looked at, but I guess it depends on what you want it for. If you are just going to be doing word proccesing, email and internet browsing, I'm fairly certain it will be ok.

However, I am also concerned about the "longevity". 512 MB of RAM is going to be (if already not) obsolete here soon. 1 GB will be the norm, and you will be lacking in that department.

Also, the hard drive is decent. Not 7200 RPM, but you won't notice too much of a difference. Again, depending on what you are using the lappy for, 80 GB might be too small. If you want to use it for a long period of time like you say you want to, I would suggest at least a 120 GB.

Also, if you are worried about battery life, you can always pick up an extra spare battery.

Finally, the processor is getting outdated too. Core 2 Duo's are also soon going to be the norm, and this lappy will be lacking in this department as well.

I am not familiar with CAD, but I'm sure you can find a better deal than this one.

Sorry to burst your bubble...
Take a look at a few of these:

HP Compaq 530 Notebook PC - Intel Centrino Core Duo T2050 1.6GHz, 802.11abg Wireless, 1GB DDR2, 80GB HDD, DVD RW, 15.4" WXGA, Windows Vista Business GH641AT#ABA in Canada at TigerDirect.ca
Acer TravelMate 4200 4297 Laptop PC - Intel Centrino Core Duo T2250 1.73GHz, 802.11abg Wireless, 1GB DDR2, 120GB HDD, Dual Layer DVD RW, 15.4" WXGA, Windows XP Professional LX.THB06.132 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca
Acer Aspire AS5610-4693 Intel Centrino Core Duo T2050 1.6GHz 802.11abg Wireless 512MB DDR2 120GB HDD Dual Layer DVD±RW 15.4" WXGA Windows® Vista™ Home Basic Notebook PC LX.AY10Y.003 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

If you have anymore questions, feel free!

I've heard bad things about the Acer's, so I don't know if I'll go with them. But I've heard the new HP's are nice.

Thanks for looking into that for me.

I've heard bad things about the Acer's, so I don't know if I'll go with them. But I've heard the new HP's are nice.

Thanks for looking into that for me.

Ok, well here are a few more then:

Lenovo 3000 C200 Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2060 1.6GHz 802.11bg Wireless 1GB DDR2 80GB HDD DVD±RW 15" XGA Windows® Vista™ Home Basic Notebook PC 8922BGU in Canada at TigerDirect.ca
(same one you picked out, with a much better CPU and more RAM)
Toshiba Satellite Pro A100 Intel Centrino Core2 Duo T5600 1.83GHz 802.11abg Wireless 1GB DDR2 120GB HDD Dual Layer DVD±RW 15.4" WXGA Windows Vista™ Business Notebook PC PSAAPC-CS307C in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

I don't know what your budget is, but both of those seem to be very good.

Go with the Lenovo, IBM is maybe a little more expensive, but I have nothing but good things to say about their laptops and customer service :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom