PC posts but no display

Status
Not open for further replies.

futility

Solid State Member
I've been having this on-going issue where when I turn on my pc, it never brings the monitor out of stand-by. After a long series of troubleshooting steps, I've had my video card, motherboard, and RAM replaced by their respective manufacturers. My monitor has a vga cable but my video card is dvi. Prior to replacing my video card i switched between two vga-dvi adapters that had previously worked fine. Upon replacement I received a new one from the manufacturer that still did not work. I tried using a different monitor with the adapters but it still did not work. I also used my monitor on a different pc w/o the adapters and it worked. I find it hard to believe that all 3 adapters do not work. At this point, I am at a loss. Anyone that can help will have my greatest thanks.

My system specs are as follows:

Asus P5N32 SLI-Deluxe
Pent-D 930 3.0Ghz
OCZ 2x1GB 667mhz DDR2 RAM
XFX GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB
Coolermaster 600W PSU
Windows XP Pro

since the monitor wont come out of stand-by, i cant see anything to install/reinstall

if the monitor does not power up reinstalling windows won't help anyway. it would seem that your PC is stalling during POST, unless you can confirm that windows loads (either by speakers or HDD activity). use a known good memory stick, try it in all slots. also try resetting your CMOS (for some reason this occasionally fixes problems like this). if possible i also recommend trying a PCI video card. for troubleshooting purposes you are probably best off to remove all unnecessary cards and drives. if nothing helps then you're probably looking at a dead motherboard (could be processor though). if it works, start adding hardware back until the issue repeats (if it does you found the culprit, if not then it was a configuration problem).

Sorry its been a while. I kinda wanna strap maybe 12lbs of C4 to this thing and send it on its way...

Ok so I listened for start up music and nada. I kinda noticed that i cant even press any of the locks on my keyboard (caps, etc). resetting cmos used to fix it way back when, then i started having my current problem. i've swapped the ram, even had the manufacturer replace them. current card is pci ex. there are two slots 'n i've tried them both. the only things that have been connected for a while now are only the ram, psu, v-card, and cpu... the pc should bring up the bios even w/o the cpu (which it doesnt). a recent suggestion was that it could be the psu, so that just got replaced and nothing

all in all, the motherboard, ram, psu, and vid card have been replaced by either me or the manufacturer.....

I suppose you're right. I've ****ed away enough money into this pc. I guess a new processor wont hurt. I'll follow up after I get it...

Yep, Its your processor. Awhile back I received a faulty processor and everything powered up but no signal to the monitor. That would be it my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom