New Build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthraX

Daemon Poster
It's been quite a while since I've been here, but I got a couple of questions. I'm going to be building a new computer within the next month or so.

Basically I'm building a new computer for 2 major things: Gaming and Video editing. I have been a fan of the Core 2 Duo since they came out, but I'm curious. How well does the Athlon 64 X2 stack up against the C2D in video editing/rendering?

I have planned to go with the C2D, but I'm willing to go with an X2 if the price/performance is right. What motherboards are good to get with a C2D? I don't plan to overclock. Are Intel or Nvidia chipsets better? Also, what is a good heatsink for the C2D?

Is there anything coming out in the near future that I should watch for? Like maybe new DX10 cards, more CPU's, etc.

As of right now, C2Ds are the best processors. But theres no point in getting a C2D, if you're not overclocking. So you can go the AM2 route. How come you won't be overclocking, if I may ask?

In the future will be AMD's new line of processors. The K10s. And then later will be C2D's release of the first 45nm processors, the Penryn.

Nvidia also plans to release it's G92, which is said to have a teraflop of computing power. It's said to be released near the end of this year.

A good heatsink for the C2D, is either the bang for your buck Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, or the one of the best.....the Tuniq 120.

As of right now, C2Ds are the best processors. But theres no point in getting a C2D, if you're not overclocking. So you can go the AM2 route. How come you won't be overclocking, if I may ask?

If the C2D's are the best processors, why is there no point in getting one if I don't overclock? I was almost into overclocking my current system, but I realized that if I really wanted to overclock and make it noticeable I would have to buy certain parts and constantly monitor my system to make sure it doesn't screw up.

Well I think C2D's counterparts from AM2 are comparable, but when a C2D is overclocked, no AM2 can touch it.

"Constantly monitor"? How so? Once you get a stable clock and temp, you're good to go.

Well, I guess it just doesn't interest me really. I'm not really the type that will push it to the max. If it does what I need and then some, I'm very happy.

IMO, overclocking or not, c2d's are the way to go. As stated above, at their factory settings, amd's and c2ds are comparable, but hypothetically, lets say one day you DO want to overclock for whatever reason, youll want a c2d.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom