BOOT MGR is Missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Power

Mr Beans Sidekick
I have 2 hdds. One I have Vista installed and it works fine all the time booting. But then I installed Linux on my second hdd and now whenever i try and boot from my vista hdd it sais.

BOOT MGR is missing. Press ctrl alt delete to restart.

linux works fine though

Do you have a Vista installation or upgrade disk onhand? When trying to install a distro on a second partition here the Vista boot loader was smashed and a quick boot of the install disk saw the startup repair tool used. When first booting with one you look down below the install now button to the lower part of the screen for the repair tools button. Simply choose the startup problems option for the auto repair tool there.

k. and after i do this is there any way I can make it so when I boot up i can choose from Vista or linux everytime. Rather than changing the boot order

That will restore the Vista boot loader there. Then Grub or Lilo has to be added into the mbr. I'm still waiting to get something running along with Vista on one drive here. A regular Linux user dual booting with Vista could answer that one better. I was trying to install Solaris 10 installed when it trashed the Vista boot loader and simply used the new repair tool to see good results.

With Vista you see the option to choose between that and "previous versions of Windows" on the second splash screen. For choosing the drive to load some boards have an F8 option for floppy then any hard drives with the optical drives listed at the bottom.

Otherwise you go into the bios to assign the desired drive as the first in the order. To use the Vista boot options you keep that drive set as the default or the drive with the boot loader on it. If you have XP or another OS on the primary ide where Vista will put it's loader you set that as the first and then choose which OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom