geforce 7900 GS problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuaz

In Runtime
Hi All,

I seem to have a problem with my geforce 7900 GS. I get a nice FPS the majority of the time, but (and this is going to sound strange) on certain days i get (every 10 mins ) bad FPS. It will drop from 100 FPS (on WoW for example) to 15FPS, and i can just be stood still facing a wall or looking into a crowd of players.

The same for the likes of TrackMania nations (Solo + Multi player), which in my opinion is a very graphic intense game.

But like i say, some days its fine. Its very strange. I have the latest drivers. Its like there is something which is sapping usage. Done the usual, processes check and Virus and Spyware checks.

I have a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
With 2GB Dual Channel Ram
Two Hard-drives of 250GB both with over 50GB free
Windows XP Pro (i'm not stupid ;) )

I would check if any programs are using resources in the background (like updates installing during gameplay for other programs)

Yeah I have done the usual checks. I'm wondering if the Card is dieing or something.

Trackmania is certainly not intensive, my 9800pro runs it @ 1280x1024 no problems. Do you have the latest nVidia drivers?

dont they have a 94.?? version now?
anyways i use 93.71 and have no problems.
but i have had similar problems when i have a card overclocked too much.
do you overclock?
also what are your temps, heat will make it laggy-ish.

i used to have a nvidia and usually all the problems i ever had with it were driver related. Just uninstall the driver and reinstall the newest version on nvidas website for your graphics card.
To install a new driver simply reinstall the new one by going into device manager uninstall the 7900 Gs and then when it asks to restart say no. After that go into the control panel and look for anything Nvidia related it and uninstall it. Then restart. When the computer boots back up to windows install the new driver and voala. If that doesn't work report back. Also Nvidia cards can get pretty hot my old BFG 6800GT (AGP X8) would go up to 120F and when under a full load i solved that problem by installing an after market heatsink and adding some Ceramique on the GPU.

check cool and quiet is disabled in the bios.

if its on then the cpu will throttle back when its not being used intensively and this results in poor performance.

I have attached a screenshot of what processes i have running in the background while playing World of Warcraft (for example)

My harddrives are at 31C
My GPU is at 59

(While playing a game)

I have tried a re-install of Drivers, and also tried doing as suggested - and uninstalling all and just leaving Windows to do the job.

Attachments

• processes currently running..gif
    processes currently running..gif
    45.5 KB · Views: 58
can you post a hijack this log in the hijack this log section of the forums, also when you lag in wow it isn't in Shatt is it? because i get like 20fps there sometimes. Try to clean out the dust in your 7900gs by turning of your pc, turn off the button in the back of the power supply as well and the power from your surge protector, and or UPS. Then open up your pc disconnect the power from your graphics card, take it out, then clean the fan and parts of the heatsink with some compressed air. Carefull if you've been using the card for about 6 months and haven't cleaned it its going to have a lot of dust. (remember hold the can of compressed air upright if you tilt it, it will spray your video card)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom