Budget PC, Brisbane or Windsor core?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so Brisbane is it then. I'll take the advice and buy the 1Gb stick. It's easy enough to come up with another $45 in a few months and dual channel my RAM.

The intel build I posted is cheaper, and it is better than Brisbane 4000+

So which video card is better card for the price?

The GeForce 7600GT - $95
Newegg.com - EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
-or-
The GeForce 8600GT - $125
Newegg.com - MSI NX8600GT-T2D256E OC GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

The only difference I see is the clock speed and DirectX 9 vs. 10

8600GT performs slightly better, but both are good for the price

Ok, so Brisbane is it then. I'll take the advice and buy the 1Gb stick. It's easy enough to come up with another $45 in a few months and dual channel my RAM.

So which video card is better card for the price?

The GeForce 7600GT - $95
Newegg.com - EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
-or-
The GeForce 8600GT - $125
Newegg.com - MSI NX8600GT-T2D256E OC GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

The only difference I see is the clock speed and DirectX 9 vs. 10
8600gt. its the same, or a little better in all situations. plus it has dx10, which at 1280x1024, or 1024x768, you could play the dx1 games.

thats not, neccessarily true that the brisbane and windsor will overclock the same. my 4200 winny will only oc to 2.8 (stable). i can stabilize my 3600 at almost 3.2ghz.

b1gapl, yepper i run it everyday at 3+ghz.

It depends if you get a good chip or not... Most can only get around 3.0 stable on a Brisbane. Plus less then .4ghz isn't a huge difference anyway

And an 8600GT is quite a bit faster then the 7600GT. 8600GTs are somewhere around 7900GS level and they're also great overclockers. (way more then slightly better) They can overclock to faster then an 8600GTS easy without any mods which is comparable or slightly faster then an X1950Pro. You also have the added benefit of the new video decoding stuff that's better then even the 8800's.

it is (overclocking-wise...not really performance wise) with an amd, especially around the 3ghz mark.

Either way.. it really doesn't matter, cause like I said, if you're overclocking, you'll want the lowest-end one since they all max out pretty much the same and if you're not, you don't need the cooler temps of a Brisbanes so you can save $ and get a Windsor.

Lots of options. Its nice that the technology allows us to really specialize our systems to our needs and budget. I think I'm gonna go with the Brisbane 4400 and oc it a bit. Can I oc the cpu with the supplied heatsink & fan, or should I wait until I can buy a good fan? I guess it all comes down to temp in the case.

You can overclock with the stock HSF, but you won't get as far, as with an aftermarket HSF.

The Brisbane is much better than the Windsor...why is this topic still even open.

Because just two weeks ago, I didn't know the first thing about building a computer. I decided to educate myself and ask people with experience in the hopes of getting the best products in my budget.

If you care not to help others who come to these forums to ask questions, then I would prefer you take your worthless comments elsewhere.

Lots of options. Its nice that the technology allows us to really specialize our systems to our needs and budget. I think I'm gonna go with the Brisbane 4400 and oc it a bit. Can I oc the cpu with the supplied heatsink & fan, or should I wait until I can buy a good fan? I guess it all comes down to temp in the case.

Why a 4400? A 3600 is the exact same thing except clocked lower at stock and has the same overclocking potential. And about the fan, some can get to 3.0ghz which is about the max with the stock heatsink and some can't.. All depends on what stepping you get. You should still get a pretty good overclock with the stock hsf anyway though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom