Budget PC, Brisbane or Windsor core?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep...nagasama....you are a true AMD overclocker. And you got that Brizzy to 3GHz right?

Also I suggest, you get this ram instead:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory - Retail
This will make it easier to upgrade, just by getting this stick again for 2gb(when you have the money), and to run in dual channel.

hey Bi1gapal. I got this first just a 1gb same ram that u linked... and I just recently bought a second one... in order to dual channel it... do I need to do something special? or does it just automatically configure once i plug both in?

hey Bi1gapal. I got this first just a 1gb same ram that u linked... and I just recently bought a second one... in order to dual channel it... do I need to do something special? or does it just automatically configure once i plug both in?

Assuming you put them in the right slots on your motherboard then it will configure itself. Check your motherboard manual to see which slots you should put the ram into so it can operate in duel channel.

It's automatically configured.

According to the TForce550, it's installing them in the same colored slots for dual channel.

There really isn't any difference in overclockability between Windsors and Brisbanes even though the Brisbanes run cooler (and you don't need great cooling to max a Windsor).. Buying any Brisbane other then the 3600 is a waste basically since if you're not overclocking, running it cooler doesn't matter (so just get a Windsor) and if you are, all the models overclock the same.

BUT with what you selected so far, you wanna pay 170-180 for CPU+mobo and with just a little more then that, you can get a C2D set-up (which will be FAR better if you decide to overclock). E4300 $110 + Abit IB9 $75AR. Mobo has two minor problems (cold boot bug which happens with a lot of P965 boards and it's weird installing XP with an IDE optical drive but it gives you directions in the manual to do it) but it'll max an E4300 and keep it running well (I have it).

BUT with what you selected so far, you wanna pay 170-180 for CPU+mobo and with just a little more then that, you can get a C2D set-up (which will be FAR better if you decide to overclock). E4300 $110 + Abit IB9 $75AR. Mobo has two minor problems (cold boot bug which happens with a lot of P965 boards and it's weird installing XP with an IDE optical drive but it gives you directions in the manual to do it) but it'll max an E4300 and keep it running well (I have it).

I was wondering when someone was going to suggest an Intel build. When I was looking everyone threw Intel at me... Unfortunately I already had my order in so could't take their advice...

Ok, so Brisbane is it then. I'll take the advice and buy the 1Gb stick. It's easy enough to come up with another $45 in a few months and dual channel my RAM.

So which video card is better card for the price?

The GeForce 7600GT - $95
Newegg.com - EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
-or-
The GeForce 8600GT - $125
Newegg.com - MSI NX8600GT-T2D256E OC GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

The only difference I see is the clock speed and DirectX 9 vs. 10

There really isn't any difference in overclockability between Windsors and Brisbanes even though the Brisbanes run cooler (and you don't need great cooling to max a Windsor).. Buying any Brisbane other then the 3600 is a waste basically since if you're not overclocking, running it cooler doesn't matter (so just get a Windsor) and if you are, all the models overclock the same.

thats not, neccessarily true that the brisbane and windsor will overclock the same. my 4200 winny will only oc to 2.8 (stable). i can stabilize my 3600 at almost 3.2ghz.

b1gapl, yepper i run it everyday at 3+ghz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom