High Pitched Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

triskit

In Runtime
After taking my computer home from college and pluging it in, I noticed a high pitched noise. If I turn the computer on, the noise goes away, and, if I wait long enough after turning the computer off it fades away and stops. If i turn off the PSU or unplug the comp during the noise it goes away(but not immediately, it fades away over a few seconds). It seems like the longer i have the computer on, the longer the noise will persist after i turn it off... but i'm not 100% sure about that.

The only thing I can think of that might have caused it is the 250 mile drive home. It wasnt very bumps, but something might have been nocked loose... The computer is only a few months old and is running perfectly fine, besides this.

Antec Smartpower PSU if that makes a difference to anyone

Any ideas?

grrr i get tht sometimes, its not my hdd coz thats only a few months old, yeah help would be useful

Listen closely and find where the sound is coming from.

Does the sound stop if you disconnect the power supply from the motherboard.

Try removing power from each component until the sound stops, e.g. remove molex connection from cd drive, hdd, gfx card etc until only the motherboard is connected. Does it still make a noise?

It's probably either a case fan or the psu's fan, either going out or scraping against something lightly. Check your case fans individually and check your psu by removing it from your pc and plugging it directly into a wall socket and switching it on.

it isnt a fan rubbing on anything, it continues even when the fans are not running and the computer is off. From listening around it soums like it is comming from the psu. I am sure it isnt from the hdd, opp drive, cpu fan, or one of the case fans. It also seems to be fainter when i listen around the sound/vid cards. There is one other case fan that i cant unplug w/o opening the comp up a bit more, so i might just have to do that. It really sounds like the psu though. If it is, then what should i do? Does it sound very serious, or will it just be annoying?

The noise is because the psu needs a lot of cooling when its starting up. If you turn your computer on within 1 hour of when you last had it on you will notice it wont make that noise because your computer is already warmed up.
All you can do is clean it and don't stress you computer out.
This noise is not extremely bad if it really annoys you just forcefully stop the fan with a pen then let it start again 10 seconds after you have turned your computer.

mines just stopped doing it all together now, i think like IceKoldKiller said jsut the PSU warming up

mine stll makes the noise regardless of how long it has been since starting the comp. But it is not when I start the comp that the noise starts. It is when I
a) turn the comp off
b)Turn on the psu after turning it off
c)plug in the psu

sometimes it will continue when i turn the comp on, but it usually stops completely a second after I hit the on button

so basically its not a fan noise, which is what you guys don't understand.

it will be one of the components resonating in the power supply. try and blow as much dust out as possible and check the temperature is not too high whilst the pc is operational.

if you notice anything else go wrong with the psu then its probably a faulty model and worth replacing.

otherwise i would just stick with it.

the temp is fine inside of the comp, and everyting else s working fine... ITs just really annoying... thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom