Goes to black, in BIOS or Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

screwschom

Solid State Member
After about 90 seconds of being on and going through it's boot sequence my computer goes to black, and will eventually reboot after about 10 mins.

Specs:

AMD 3900+ 64bit
ASUS Vid Card PCI-E
2 GIGS (2 dimms) of identical RAM
Antec Purepower 560W? PSU

Any idea what could be causing this? What information do you need to diagnose? I have a hunch it's the PSU... I am on my third PSU in about 2.5 years I think.

Edit- I was in the bios and the power 12v power reading was 11.97v it says it should be "12v+"

11.97v is normal its never exact.
When you say your computer goes black do you mean your monitor goes on stand-by and then reboots after 10min?
To be sounds like you CMOS should be cleared or it needs a replacement battery

o ya forgot to mention that, hehe
while you have 90sec go to your BIOS and see what temps your getting from the CPU

Another thing worth mentioning...

Battery is 2.97V

The other day when this problem was devloping I got a Keyboard device failure message on bootup, and also had problem with the keyboard and mouse working.

A few times when I've started the computer and gotten to the desktop it does the error reporting thing which when I look at the detials it says that there was a "unknown device driver error"

Could this be concistant with a dying PSU?

try unplugging everything like IDE cables, power cables going to the HD, Virtual drives, etc. leave only plugged in the CPU\heatsink, RAM, video card (or use the onboard if it has one), PSU 20\24pin connector (4pin 12v also if it has one), and the power button in the front of the computer.
Now check if it goes black, tell you the truth i dont think its your PSU crapping out i think your HD is scr3wing with you or your motherboard
You can try a different PSU form someone else but i doubt it

yea it sounds like a psu problem just go through all the posts people post up like this one. If you do find out its the psu though i recommend a seasonic brand, cant go wrong with seasonic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom