Windows wont read discs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkMassacre

In Runtime
I burned a couple data discs for a friend of mine but she can't get them to play. When she opens up the disc in the D drive, opens a folder, and clicks on a song it tells her "Windows can't open file." I havent been over so I can't think of what's wrong.

To play media you can't simply double click on them but use a player's option to open a file and then browse to the one or more. If you burned mp3s on data and not music type disks you're in trouble! When burned to disk and still seen as mpg3s the Windows Media Player will then add them to the library on the hard drive in playable form wma or mp3 depending on version.

Doesn't sound right.... this is the method I've always used and I've never had any problems just double clicking them. They opened up in whatever the computer's main audio player was.

Without problems being seen on previous burns you can look at bad media or simply some bad burns from a software glitch. I've run into bad media and the occasional disk tossing enough times. Open a new container of disks lately or reaching the bottom of one? Try finding an entire new containner all bad.

not to sound patronising but, you didnt just insert a music CD and drag teh files from there onto a blank CD and burn did ya? because that wont work.

somebody probably burnt a multisession disc and they didn't close the session

For burning mp3s onto cd-rs some time back the software used had two options for burning namely data and audio types. If you used the data option you didn't get anywhere. The option for audio disks has to be used if the program you are using has it. That option will automatically close a burning seesion on it's own unless you are prompted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom