Why is some ram so much more expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akoto

Baseband Member
I'm in the market for a 2gb chip of ddr 5300 SODIMM memory and I just cant believe the price differences for some of these chips.

The cheaper ones average around $120-130 for some noname brand like "G-skill", then a bit more for corsair value memory, but then it shoots up to like $400 for kingston brand.

Is it just durability or what's the deal here? The lower brands even offer ddr5400 with a heatspreader for almost a 1/4 the price.

PS. this is for a lenovo R61 laptop so it needs to compatible with that if there are any fine points I'm missing

Actually G.Skill is not a no name brand, it is one of the most highly recommended brands of RAM on the forum. Most people would tell you to use G. Skill because of the quality.

lower latency maybe? you gotta pay for the increase in performence ya know. i know some of the more expensive corsair stick have built in gimmicks, like a led status bar actually built into the heatsink, that 20 cents worth of led lights might raise the price of the ram 100 bucks.

stick with G skill, pretty decent stuff, although i'd reccomend OCZ.

The higher the price typically the brand would be more reliable and would have more overclocking headroom. G.skill is great because it's quality ram, but for your "noname" price.

Higher priced ram usually means higher quality chips, heat spreaders, better timings, etc. Mostly it's stuff geared towards overclockers. The less expensive variety of ram is generally meant more for so-called "mainstream" users who aren't going to OC their machine and don't care about a little more latency or slower timings.

And fro the record, I've never used G-Skill myself, but it is well recognized as being very reliable and great for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom