How to dual boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WWS

In Runtime
I have a copy of XP pro 32bit on one drive and a copy of XP pro 64bit on another drive. How do I go about setting up a dual boot system to choose which OS I want to use? Thanks for your help.

For Windows XP one version has to be installed after the other while both drives are plugged to see the first added into the master boot record and boot.ini file. The second Windows then becomes the defaulr version with the option seen at startup for choosing the other one. In the bios you would set the default version's drive as the first unless the entry is set for the first version's drive.

If you installed each separately with the other drive unplugged you would have to reinstall or repair install one to see the other added in. First see if the 64bit version has a boot.ini file identical to one seen in the 32bit versions. You have to uncheck the "hide protected operating system files" option seen in "tools>folder options" iin an explorer window. Someone who has run or is running the 64bit version can add a little more on this.

For Windows XP one version has to be installed after the other while both drives are plugged to see the first added into the master boot record and boot.ini file. The second Windows then becomes the defaulr version with the option seen at startup for choosing the other one. In the bios you would set the default version's drive as the first unless the entry is set for the first version's drive.

If you installed each separately with the other drive unplugged you would have to reinstall or repair install one to see the other added in. First see if the 64bit version has a boot.ini file identical to one seen in the 32bit versions. You have to uncheck the "hide protected operating system files" option seen in "tools>folder options" iin an explorer window. Someone who has run or is running the 64bit version can add a little more on this.

ive never had this problem but would EASYBCD not work?

ive never had this problem but would EASYBCD not work?

EasyBCD is not for use on XP but Vista. Vista has it's own new form of boot loader while XP still uses the boot.ini along with the ntldr file. With the 64bit version of Pro being newer then the 32bit I suggest reinstalling that to see if it will add the 32bit version in since that came out in 2004-5 as well as MCE. The EasyBCD itself is used inplace of the BCD editor seen in Vista. When installing XP after Vista went on here I then had to reinstall Vista to see XP then added in. EasyBCD and other steps didn't work.

Boot into XP. Go Start>Run>msconfig>Boot.ini tab

Write down that info there about your boot. Then go into XP X64 and do the same thing. Now from there go under the advanced tab and add the XP or the XP X64 (Depending on which OS you are in at that time) info the the Boot.ini info. Then under the boot.ini tab again click the check all boot paths button and see if it checks out.

This should allow you to be able to use the XP Bootloader and Dual Boot between the 2 OS's.

i ji used to have linux on one hard drive and windows on another, i didnt need any programs i just chose which one to run after the POST screen

that's because linux will easily set it up. xp will too, but I like PM's way of hiding each OS from each other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom