Need a good ghetto-***** computer for University.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arumuni

In Runtime
Hey guys,

I'm going to University in a few months and I'll need a laptop. I don't plan to do any sort of gaming on it or anything too straneous on the hardware. I plan to use it mainly for word processing (any sort of academic application in general), maybe a media player, internets, etc.

I need help because as far as laptops go, I don't really know that much. I do know that a 1gb ram of for a desktop performs better than a 1gb of ram for the laptop, so you can see why I could be confused. If all the hardware for a laptop is in comparison to their desktop counter parts weaker, than I don't want to be left in the dust. I'd like pretty decent performance that would last me at least a few years.

Thanks.

my sugestion is the processor and the ram
get a good processor like a core 2 duo
dont go with a celeron m because they get hot and are slow
and if its windows xp running on it get 1 gig of ram
if its vista get 2 gigs or more(you will need it)
dont go with a pent 4 or a pent d because these are desktop processors and they also get very hot(well atleast mine does its a Pentium D@3.9GHZ)

Honestly I find Dells to be surprisingly resilient. The ones we sell at work almost never come back for service and when they do it is usually something mundane like a HDD crash or damage caused by the customer. Personally I like Lenovo, but they tend to be not-so-ghetto and a bit more pricey.

I despise Acer--my store carries them and they always tend to have weird issues at some point. Bad customer support, too, since they're stilla small company in the US. But that's just my opinion.HP and Toshiba are generally very good for the money.

Newegg.com - Gateway MT3705 NoteBook Intel Core Duo T2060(1.60GHz) 14.1" Wide XGA 1GB DDR2 533 100GB 4200rpm Dual layer DVD Burner ATI Radeon Xpress 200M IGP - Retail

Something along these lines is pretty good. You wouldn't ahve to get this exact laptop, of course, but something with a dual core processor, 1gb of ram, and from a decent brand should suffice.

Toshies are nice.

Grab a 17" lappy with a dual-core (either a C2D or a X2 Turion), 2 gig of RAM, a nice hard drive, decent graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom