Noob needing help upgrading Comp. $250 budget

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've been looking aroudn and i think i saw somthing about the artic cooling freeser 64 pro but didn't bother to look it up. i guess i will now.

what do u mean by after market cooler and what do you mean by overclocking?

Aftermarket means like a 3rd party company, that supplies replacement or alternative parts. Usually aftermarket parts are better than stock parts.

Overclocking means, pushing a component, such as the CPU to run at faster speeds, rather than stock speed. For example....pushing that processor I suggested, from 1.9GHz to 3.0GHz. That's called an overclock.

okay. How do you overclock and would i really even need it just to play games and do my hw on my comp? or is it just for liek extreme gamers and ppl who want MAX performance outa their comps?
EDIT- nvm i foudn a site for overclocking. but yeah that only answers how to.
site- How To OverClock

It's for people who want to squeeze every bit of performance, out of their system, to get most of their money's worth. For the games you'll be playing, it's not really required. But it's a nice thing to learn.

okay. i'll attempt to learn it lol. i am guessing without proper cooling i could really damage my computer when overclocking huh?

would the cooler you sugested work for overclocking? And in the "how to build a computer" link you gave me would that cooler be good for overlocking (though it is $50)

The CPU cooler in that guide I showed you earlier, is one of the best aftermarket coolers on the market.

Without proper cooling, and not being careful, you could damage the processor. But overclocking is safe these days. If something gets too hot, the computer will shut down, in order to prevent any further damage.

This is the overclocking guide, I learned from:
Overclocking Guide - MajorGeeks Support Forums

okay looks like i have more reading to to.
EDIT- whats bus speed lol... and whats the multiplyer? ( i am reading the guide i posted right now then i am reading urs)

ohh i just remembered i have a laptop in the basement i never use and i got teh mom's okay to mess with it. think it could hand'e an overclock for a while? or not a good idea? (not a very new laptop)

Not a good idea. Laptops don't have good cooling, to handle overclocks. And if it's an old one, an overclock wouldn't do anything. Plus the BIOS is probably locked, since that's where overclocking takes place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom