Noob needing help upgrading Comp. $250 budget

Status
Not open for further replies.
he wont be able to use the ram that he has currently got, as it is DDR, and the mobo that he will be getting will only support DDR2

He mentioned the bare minimum again, and I assumed he was just going to upgrade, instead of buying a new computer.

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE 550 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 550 MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
This is the motherboard, where everything is connected to.

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail
This is the processor. The brain of the computer.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory - Retail
This is the memory. This is where data is stored, so the processor, doesn't have to travel all the way to the hard drive to get all the info.

Newegg.com - FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX400-PN, RoHS, 12cm FAN, version 2.2, 2 SATA, 20+ 4 pin, PCI Express, 400W Power Supply - Retail
This is the power supply, which supplies the power to your computer.

Newegg.com - EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
This is the graphic card. It is needed for gaming.

Yes you do have one already, but chances are you need to upgrade it to power this new system.

i am just replacing all of these into my current computer, and getting better privacy software.

I guess i am confused with duel channel..i don't see how it helps or anything. So it wont be bad if i mix my current RAM with a 1 gig? or is it better just to have the 1 GIG alone?

Oh I see...Vaanish is right then, if you're building a new one. The 1gb of ram, that I suggested before, won't work with your current ram, because your current is DDR, while the one suggested is DDR2. Anyway 1gb alone, will do fine.

okay. i can live without my old RAM

i'm not sure what you ment by the ddr and ddr2 or even mobo (motherboard?) but will the RAM u suggested work with the mobo u also sugested?

forgive me if i am asking this a 2nd time, but why do i need a new mother board? is it because my old one can't handle the new stuff? and..can i use my old graphics card along with the new one i am going to get? or would that be bad?

None of your old stuff is compatible with the new stuff, that's suggested...sorry...except for your current hard drive and cd drive. Those are compatible with the new parts, I suggested.

That's why you should build a new one, because it will keep you up to date.

DDR and DDR2 are types of RAM. DDR2 is the current ram, and DDR is aging and an old type of ram. And yes that ram I suggested is compatible with the motherboard I suggested.

okay..so if i just replace all the parts u sugested with the new ones..my computer will work fine right? i basicly gut my whole comp except for the disk drives and the hardrive when i am replaceing the old parts correct? or is there more to my comp i didn't know about?

Just get those parts I suggested, and use the same hard drive and cd drive, from your old computer, and you're good to go.

okay.
gahh another question!! >.<

i looked up some CPU cooling systems, but first, do you think i will new need a new better one (i leave my comp on alot) or just the standard one the comes with the CPU?

if i need another, whats the best cooling unit for $30 or under?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom