Help Me Build A New Computer!! Money No Option

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you can do, is RAID 0 two hard drives, and have another hard drive for backup.

What you can do, is RAID 0 two hard drives, and have another hard drive for backup.

thats what I do...except I use the 3rd hard drive not for backup but just for more space. People always talk about how RAID 0 is risky because if you lose 1 HD you lose all your data...but honestly I've never had a drive fail on me in my entire life.

i was thinking about doin raid a few times, but i spent my money else where, not because i thought it was risky, but because it isnt as important. i would if i had some money right now, even though ive had 2 hdds fail in 3 years. 1 dell, and one seagate barracuda, but this western digital that it replaced works perfectly fine.

Yea...RAID 0 isn't necessary, but just the luxury of having more space and faster loading times. If you have the extra money, it's nice to have.

thats what I do...except I use the 3rd hard drive not for backup but just for more space. People always talk about how RAID 0 is risky because if you lose 1 HD you lose all your data...but honestly I've never had a drive fail on me in my entire life.

thats true...

however once i had one of my disks become corrupt and windows wouldn't boot and was sol anyway. or if your array messes up im not sure you could fix that, if im not mistaken that is..

and if you wanted you could do a raid 0+1 that requires 4 disks, which is two disks in raid 0 for performance and then the other two in raid 0 that mirror the first set.

im sry but im lost, what u mean by RAID 0 or 1? Does this make 2 HDDs work together which makes them boot data faster? Seem better n cheaper then a 10k RPM Raptor.

i would like to get a Seagate 250GB SATA HDD in the oh so near future n do "RAID 0" to it n to my Maxtor 80GB ATA/133 HDD.

sry if i sound stupid, im not, im a really intelligent guy who just loves technology lol X-D.

RAID 0 is stripping, and it combines 2 hard drives of the same size, to be recognizable as one. It boost performance, because the info is being written and read, from two hard drives at once, instead of one hard drive. Downside is, if one fails, the data on the other hard drive is lost.

RAID 1 is known as mirroring, two hard drives. Or cloning in simple words. This is for security, so if one goes down, you have the other.

You can't RAID 0 your future 250GB HD to your 80GB, because they have to be the same size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom