GTX or GTS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
Now I was considering this question back in january, and most reviews like this one eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS: GeForce 8800 GTS—The Better Buy? confirmed my wants for a GTX over the GTS ( 20% more in cost and usually 20% higher in performance ).

However this is not january, its June, and prices have changed significantly. Ignoring the GTS 320 mb model ( don't really want to get into that right now cause if I go with that model then I have to comprare it to the new ATI card which has gotten really mixed reviews ), and just considering the GTS 640 mb model which is now 350 on newegg compared to 530 for the EVGA GTX model ( considering rebates ). Thats now about a 50% price differance....hmmm....this really changes things now does it...opinions? ( and no I'm not going to wait for the geforce 9 )

Wow u guys respond fast....Im planning to run at resolutions of like 1600x1200, whatever my native resolution of my future LCD monitor is

in that case I would choose the GTX...the performance difference will be significant at that higher resolution...especially in upcoming DX10 titles.

yer, if you have vista and want dx10, go for gtx, theyre truly amazing, can you tell me the rset of ure specs?

e6600 ( plan to overclock slightly )
gskill 2 gigs ddr800-pc6400 ( plan to overclock )
Asus P5N-E nForce 650i mobo
Vigor gaming monsoon lite cooling
WD Raptor 150gig 10k rpm
NZXT Zero Aluminum
Apevia 680W Beastpower W/ PFC

For 1600 x 1200, I would go with the GTS 640.....GTX if you have the money.

If you don't want to wait for the 9xx series then the GTX would fit you well, If what the Lost Planet demo benchmark show is true ( DX10 ) the GTX is not clearly a true DX10 card, yes we know it can max out all games right now but all this game are DX9 and have been in the market since some time now. The GTX card is been out for almost 1 year out and we haven't seen DX10 games at all (Company of Heroes just recently released a DX10 patch for the game).
Anyone feel free to correct me since I maybe wrong ;) .

Anyway I could said that I'm in the same boat as you are Gabb, I start planning since mid April to make a new rig since that I wait until May and now I'm waiting up to July 22 for some price drops in other parts ( CPU anyones :D ?!?) but thats not my problem, my real problem is that I don't know if I should do my new rig in July because:

1. There aren't any DX10 games out that interest me right now.
2. The 8800 series (GTX & GTS respectively) has been out for about a year now (around 7 months old)
3. AMD-ATI have not launch a rival for the GTX yet thats why most likely they have not even drop one single dollar of the price of the GTX cards.
4. Thinking myself this: It is really worth spend $556 now while in some months that price should drop and a new & better card is set at that price??

Thats all my points of view and in any way don't have to be yours ;) But honestly I'm just as ready as anyone here to upgrade but my instinct tell me to wait a little and see what happen.( I might sound like I will never be able to upgrade but I'm trying to find a sweet spot to do it I now there is no perfect time to upgrade they are just adequate time)
I'm just letting you know what I think of this situation right now and I hope it can help you decide what is best for you not confuse you in any way :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom