The best add on I have ever bought...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohGrFreak

ID.10T
Just need to rant and rave about this, I am so glad I did this. I bought an external enclosure and 3.5" drive. It was uber cheap, looks awesome, and is suprisingly fast for USB 2.0. I used to back up all my files and folders with DVD+R discs before a format/OS re-install, that took so much time everytime, because my files kept changing, I'd have to re-backup every time I needed to format the drive (it's 250Gb). I got a cheapie enclosure, not even 16 bucks, it keeps the drive cool without fans, looks neat, has a nice blue LED. And I got a Hitachi Deskstar 80Gb drive to go along with it, just big enough for my important files for now, I'll upgrade the drive later, maybe a 160Gb Western Digital.

Newegg.com - POWMAX EMV35DBK Aluminum 3.5" USB 2.0 External Enclosure - Retail

I'm not advertising, not spamming, I'm just amazed at how zippy a 2.0 external can be, my Sony PSP and my Samsung Digimax digital camera are insanely slow at 2.0 speeds, but I transferred over 40 Gb in one motion in less than 15 minutes with the drive. I can access files and watch movies from the external drive with no hiccups what so ever. This is the main reason I never gotten an external drive until now, is because I thought it would be a waste of money and would be a slow performer. Also a plus is I have tons of friends with whom I share files and data with, this thing is plug and play, no need to burn a DVD or CD, my friend can bring his laptop over, plug it in and bam, or I can just take the drive wherever I need to go and plug er in.

Anywho, this for me, is the best bang for the buck device I have bought for my computer, asides from the Athlon 64 3400+ I got from eBay for next to nothing, but that's another story...

Now I guess this is just a random post, let's make some chatter with it. What are your suggestions for a more reliable drive, or was the Hitachi a good choice? Does anyone else have an external drive? What are your thoughts on it, how well does it work for you, has it ever pooped out on you?

I just have multiple internal hard drives. You can still take out an internal hard drive.

I'll be getting a 750GB drive next week, probably. That's on top of my 200GB and 320GB drive I have now.

Yeah, but I like the portability factor of the external case. I might even swap my 80 and my 250gig and use the 80 gig for windows and the 250 for storage, I only had enough money for an 80 gig at the time, lol, but it holds all my movies and music, but it's already almost full.

Powmax sux they have been known for using cheap parts in all of their stuff, i have purchased some things from them cases,psu's they didn't work and seemed like they were made from ali=minum cans.

I have a Maxtor 160GB USB 2.0 drive.. and I can watch movies from it no problem. ****, I've even uploaded data to somebody over IM, and it goes at decent speed. I love it. I didn't think I'd be using it this much, otherwise I woulda got a larger drive. The 160GB cost me like...$80 at where I got it (RadioShack employee discount FTW =P). I make HDD image back-ups from my main drive, to my external drive (using it as a back up for now, till I format my old 80GB purely for backups.

Yhea a external case for a internal drive, I love them Great when you have to swap HUGE files around when my network is acting up ;)

Man....makes me want to get one. I have two 40gb internals and a 60gb, that serves as my backup drives. And those are backed on DVDs, just in case. But I would like the convenience, of taking my stuff wherever I go.

I think it's worth it, b1apl. Used to be my flash drive....now its mostly my HDD that I take xD. Still use my flash drive for small stuff tho, of course =P.

I now have a 750GB drive. All I do is take out my drive, and transport it in an antistatic bag along with a SATA cable and power converter.

Or I can take my whole PC to a friends house, and use LAN (I have dual gigabit LAN ports on my motherboard, plus a PCI 108MB/s wireless card)
Having an LCD screen helps. Even though it's 22", it's pretty light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom