Troubles with slave HD. Freezing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dentonx

Solid State Member
So I think my slave HD is on the verge of dying because its starting to make buzzing sounds. :eek:

The odd thing is it only makes sounds when I play video games and watch high resolution videos, and after a couple minutes after it starts making the buzzing sounds and the computer locks up and i have to reset :freak: --> but the thing is, have my games and stuff installed to the master so I don't understand why the slave is making noises when I run games or videos.

I tried starting up without the slave plugged in but I get a message saying there's no system disk, which is wierd because my OS in installed on the master.

At first I thought it was becaue my video card is overheating but I got a new heatsink and fan and it still freezes. Both HD's are IDE. :confused:
-The slave is a seagate 200Gb, about 2 years old or so, 2 partitions.
-XP Pro

Any ideas? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

You should really check your jumper setting for each HD, using cable select which is usually the default doesn't always guarantee the master and slave selection will work flawlessly if there are problems with the IDE data cable and controllers.

Exchange your IDE cable for an 80 pin one, much better at reducing cross talk or other inferences and is preferred for ATA 66 and above. You might as well buy a brand new one or take it from a system that has been known to work for testing purposes. A bad hard drive on the same cable can cause this type of issue.

Did you switch the IDE cable? check the jumper setting for the master drive? Making sure it's set to master and plug in the right IDE slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom